DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Postby wildthing on Tue, 19 May 2020 11:05 +0000

grunf wrote:Hope they fix it for you mate.

The software version they installed last year as a "service campaign" to try to fix the DPF issues is: 3F059800

If they end up replacing your DPF, injector and injector housing they need to install software version:3F0M3000 which is the part of this newest attempt to fix the bloody DPF.

Hi grunf
Had my regular service today, plus inspection of my DPF issues, and my local dealership (which has always been good to deal with over the past 10 years or more) has now agreed to replace the DPF plus 5th injector. This followed them sending the diagnostic results to head office, and it's now booked in for next Tuesday to have the warranty work done.
Have to say it was a lot simpler with the old Hilux without all this anti-pollution gear on it - even if it did drive like a truck!!
Hope the replacement DPF etc sorts my problem of excessive burns when towing.
And I've noted your reference to the software version code, so will check that when I take it in.
Cheers
wildthing

Postby grunf on Tue, 19 May 2020 12:20 +0000

Good work mate.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby wildthing on Thu, 28 May 2020 1:42 +0000

grunf wrote:Hope they fix it for you mate.

The software version they installed last year as a "service campaign" to try to fix the DPF issues is: 3F059800

If they end up replacing your DPF, injector and injector housing they need to install software version:3F0M3000 which is the part of this newest attempt to fix the bloody DPF.

Job was done yesterday grunf, and daelership assured me the codes used are the ones you quoted - they said that code had actually now been issued from Japan just a week ago, so you were right on the money. Also the design of the replacement part is the same as the photo you posted with the same reference numbers. So here's hoping it fixes the problem!!
Cheers mate
wildthing

Postby grunf on Thu, 28 May 2020 9:08 +0000

No problems mate. Please keep us posted.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 4:11 +0000

Started getting smoke doing a burn a while back doing a burn but due to work commitments I didn’t get time until today to take it in.
Toyota confirmed that mine was faulty and also advised without me prompting them that I’ll be getting the newly designed one.
I got chatting to the service advisor as well and got told that they have 1 mechanic doing nothing but DPF replacements and he’s not short on work. Takes the mechanic 2 days to replace it all as well.

The replacement parts including the new injector housing is Ion back order currently so looking at a month away before I get back in to have it done.

Started smoking at 70k, now at 75. 2017 SR5 Auto. 6 weeks left on warranty too.
SilverSP

Postby CamboT on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 5:06 +0000

SilverSP wrote:Takes the mechanic 2 days to replace it all as well.

Whaaaaaaat????
Its a 4-5hr job including the recal and burn off.
2 days would include the monkey having a holiday.
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh
CamboT

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 7:07 +0000

CamboT wrote:

Whaaaaaaat????

I have no idea but I did hit them up for a loan car if taking that long as its a work vehicle so maybe it will inspire them to knock it down.
The advisor did say they were trying to do the repairs in a day but I took that with a grain of salt.

Then again it was the same advisor who also said that they’ll need the car all day to diagnose the fault but I told them that this was totally unsuitable as I was told a few hours when making the appointment. They said they will see what they could do.
A hour later I had the car back..
SilverSP

Postby wildthing on Thu, 11 Jun 2020 8:50 +0000

SilverSP wrote:
CamboT wrote:

Whaaaaaaat????

I have no idea but I did hit them up for a loan car if taking that long as its a work vehicle so maybe it will inspire them to knock it down.
The advisor did say they were trying to do the repairs in a day but I took that with a grain of salt.

Then again it was the same advisor who also said that they’ll need the car all day to diagnose the fault but I told them that this was totally unsuitable as I was told a few hours when making the appointment. They said they will see what they could do.
A hour later I had the car back..

Yep, they had mine for two days (and also gave me a loan car), but the work only took around 4 hours.
The mechanic doing the job was good to deal with and on the first afternoon took the ute for a long run (couple of hundred km) to get it to do a burn and download the codes which he sent off to Toyota, then another test drive when the job was done.
I haven't been able to do any towing yet because of the COVID lockdown, but hope the replacement unit does the trick.
Certainly can't complain about my dealings with Toyota though (or at least my local dealership), and they have assured me that even after warranty expires they have the issue logged as their responsibility.
wildthing

Postby PlayerOne on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 9:52 +0000

I've got a late-2015 N80 (bought it new)- was blowing HEAPS of smoke & had the DPF replaced under warranty in Aug-2018 @ 70,000km... has been fine until recently...

Just had my 140k service last week and now getting the DPF & 5th Injector replaced again, the car is out of warranty however Toyota are covering the costs. Parts are on order (told 'few weeks to arrive') and they'll need the car for 1-2days. Hopefully this fixes the problem for good as it's embarrassing driving shiny smoke stack!
Last edited by PlayerOne on Tue, 23 Jun 2020 1:14 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
PlayerOne

Postby grunf on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 7:29 +0000

I had DPF replaced and 5th injector and new injector housing done in one morning.
Left the car at 8 in the morning, car was ready at 12.
grunf

Postby witherz on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 7:54 +0000

Does anyone know if they've started shipping new vehicles with the new housing? Or is it just a retrofit at the moment?
witherz

Postby specwarop on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 8:36 +0000

I picked up my new on few weeks ago, havent looked in detail but I think its the old one.
Most new ones are a Jan build, which I presume was before this new modification was released?
specwarop

Postby CamboT on Sat, 13 Jun 2020 4:57 +0000

witherz wrote:Does anyone know if they've started shipping new vehicles with the new housing? Or is it just a retrofit at the moment?

All retro fit.
The complete new design GD motor is coming out very soon in the newer facelift models
CamboT

Postby ggreenie on Sat, 13 Jun 2020 5:25 +0000

CamboT wrote:
witherz wrote:Does anyone know if they've started shipping new vehicles with the new housing? Or is it just a retrofit at the moment?

All retro fit.
The complete new design GD motor is coming out very soon in the newer facelift models

Any info on exactly what has been changed? I’ve seen lots of vague statements and lots of speculation but no specifics.
ggreenie

Postby specwarop on Sat, 13 Jun 2020 6:25 +0000

I wouldnt be surprised if the power increase in the new release motor is achieved by an ecu remap similar to whats available aftermarket.
specwarop

Postby ggreenie on Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:42 +0000

specwarop wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if the power increase in the new release motor is achieved by an ecu remap similar to whats available aftermarket.

That is my assumption. There is apparently some kind of increased cooling also. Bigger intercooler perhaps.
ggreenie

Postby CamboT on Sun, 14 Jun 2020 7:10 +0000

ggreenie wrote:
CamboT wrote:

All retro fit.

Any info on exactly what has been changed? I’ve seen lots of vague statements and lots of speculation but no specifics.

Everything basically. Complete new block, pistons, intake, exhaust, injectors. Its a complete new design GD engine
CamboT

Postby witherz on Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:01 +0000

A before and after pic of my housing that just got replaced as part of a service - they told me there was a recall for the DPF and replaced it, the housing, and the injector.
Before:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2T15_IQwKwg7AjZzGHKZus04ItKw?e=eOJnUZ
After:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2T15_IQwKwg7Ai0xX2X8WPUn8nMQ?e=QlPRVm

Not a huge difference besides the numbers on the stamps, and there is a new raised bit with a 'D' shaped outline in the centre (has a green dot in it in this pic).
witherz

new DPF being fitted today

Postby same name on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 8:13 +0000

My MY17 is getting the new and latest version of the DPF today, full-day job
Mine has been a bit i=of hit and miss since day one, making :D sure they logged it each time and they are now doing the new version, under warranty. Plus I get a full 10 years cover on this new one. what's not to love about that?.
same name

Re: new DPF being fitted today

Postby wildthing on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 2:21 +0000

Good result. I also had the new DPF fitted, last year, and have the 10 year warranty. No issues since :)
wildthing

PreviousNext

Return to Engines