1GDFTV EGR Complete Blank! No error!

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

1GDFTV EGR Complete Blank! No error!

Postby sanrook on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 8:42 +0000

First of all let me clear this up first. The vehicle this was done is a 2016 Innova - a people carrier MPV based on the same platform which underpins Hilux/Fortuner.

I have the same 1GDFTV engine in my Innova and hopefully this method should be applicable for all GDFTV applications including 2GDFTV. This i guess is the first "documented" report of a no error full EGR blank on the new engine available on the internet. This method doesn't need remap or any other extra module to accomplish this, all it needs is a full blank plate.

Copying from my blog - http://toyota-d4d.blogspot.com/2017/07/ ... blank.html
---

Finally it's done! Blanking the EGR completely on the new GD engine without using any additional modules or turning it off in a remap. I think this is the first "documented" case of a successful complete EGR blank on the new GD engine.

Blanking EGR is a two step process and one of them steps is a invasive process which is probably going to be irreversible depending on how you do it.

Step 1 - Throttle body plate delete
This depending on how you proceed with it, i.e., carefully and with patience, you can get the screws out without damage and slide out the plate. But me I just drilled the screws out. You can read about it in detail here - throttle plate delete.

Step 2 - Blanking the EGR
This is a relatively easy thing to do all you need is a EGR blanking plate which you need to install it at the rear end of the cast iron exhaust manifold. This prevents exhaust from getting into the EGR system.

Note:
It might be possible to get away without removing the throttle plate if you drill a large enough hole on the plate, probably a 14mm hole. But I would suggest simply removing the plate instead of making a hole in it. Removing the throttle plate (or putting a hole in it) is important because if you do not do that ECU will throw a code.

When the ECU decides to let in some exhaust it will close the throttle (explained in linked post above) and engine sucks in the exhaust through EGR system, so if you block the EGR feed then manifold air pressure goes down as engine gets no gas (doesn't matter if its exhaust or air). ECU throws a code.

Now this is how it works with throttle removed. When ECU decides to let in some EGR it closes the throttle and opens EGR valve but EGR feed is blocked and no exhaust gets in. But now with the throttle plate removed there is no actual throttle closing happening and the manifold continues to get fresh charge air. This fresh air maintains pressure inside the manifold in-spite of EGR feed being blocked. So ECU is happy and doesn't throw a code.
--
sanrook

Re: 1GDFTV EGR Complete Blank! No error!

Postby sanrook on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 11:34 +0000

Update:
Done 2000Kms since EGR full block, no codes. Brilliant!

Pls note: Emissions setup of this engine is EGR+Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. We don't have DPF here in our market.
sanrook

Postby numberplate on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 3:44 +0000

Well done , I like it. Im not ready to do the job yet but will one day.
numberplate

Postby sanrook on Fri, 09 Mar 2018 2:09 +0000

Still no errors and everything is cool.

Got a dyno run done last week and the results are interesting.

sanrook

Postby tonymtber on Mon, 19 Aug 2019 10:25 +0000

Has anyone done an EGR block on a Hilux yet?
tonymtber

Postby Mcogs on Fri, 06 Dec 2019 3:43 +0000

tonymtber wrote:Has anyone done an EGR block on a Hilux yet?
Well I gave this a go and it hasn’t been completely successful.
I removed the throttle plate on the Prado 2.8 and had to drill out the 2 screws. They don’t budge.
Put a blanking plate in and noticed 2 issues.
1. Threw an EGR low flow code.
2. 2500 rpm under acceleration brought on a noticeable whistle momentarily.

Cleared the code and it came back so put a plate back in with 12mm hole. No more codes or whistle. Not sure if it was compressor surge or high egr/manifold flow in either direction.

It drives well still with good response and economy. DPF still regens as per normal.
Shut down is still swift and fine.

Hope that gives some answers on this one. Might put the throttle plate back in one day and make sure I use loctite and locknuts!!
Mcogs

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 07 Dec 2019 5:17 +0000

Hope you put loctight on the screws! Don't want those little buggers rattling around in the combustion chamber :mrgreen: :o
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby sanrook on Mon, 06 Jan 2020 2:53 +0000

Understandable. ECU on the Euro 6 version of the engine could be more stringent on checks and that is probably why an EGR flow error was logged. My 1GD is Euro 3/4 version it does not have DPF and other subsystems and the ECU is probably calibrated with more leeway.

Why do you want to put the throttle plate back on if it is fine with out it? One of the functions of the throttle valve is to create partial vacuum in the inlet to allow more exhaust in. It is there in the shop manual.

Edit: EGR can now be turned off by remap, I have done that myself. It is also possible to turn off just the EGR and leave everything else stock as it is, again I have worked with only the non DPF version of the engine since we do not have a DPF GDFTV yet in our country, but still it should be possible in other versions too. We will be getting our first DPF equipped GDFTVs from this Jan 2020 onwards as we also go Euro6.
sanrook

Postby The Electrician on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 4:29 +0000

I used this kit from Aliexpress and it is working fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/H-TUNE- ... 87831.html

No check engine light, and everything is working flawlessly.
The Electrician

Return to Engines