Genuine Insanity Brittle Tail Light Plugs

Genuine Insanity Brittle Tail Light Plugs

Postby Myralga on Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:08 +0000

So I won’t name and shame the dealership but I must say I am thoroughly disappointed and saddened after my first service today.

So for context at end of financial year I purchased a new Lux. And I was surprised to find on delivery it had been in country a few months. Build date was earlier in the year. At best guess a fleet deal fell through who knows it worked in my favor as it was on the lot.
This particular Hilux is a cab chassis and as a result has nothing to protect the wiring on the rear. No tray or tub were fit etc while it waited to be sold. It sat there exposed to the sun for a few months by my guess.

So I purchase the ute and for various reasons I did the fit out myself.
I’m more than happy to do my own work and have built vehicles including show cars you would happily find on display at shows like eastern creek 4x4 and even had my builds in a big 3 letter chain 4X4’s magazine from time to time.
I’m not saying this to brag I’m simply saying that I know how to undo an electrical connector and have undid this exact connector hundreds of times in my life installing tow bars and canopy wiring with there various piggy back connectors as the same plug is used regardless of cab chassis or style side.

So when I unplugged the taillight off the chassis to install the tray. And barely put any pressure on the plugs to release the clips and the clip cracked on both sides I put it down to them going brittle in the sun.

So I asked the dealership to have a look and see about replacing them. They threw there hands in the air stating the tray wasn’t installed by them no warranty and said it would be about $1600 to repair (they gave me a quote which I was stunned by) they want to replace the entire rear frame harness for 2 electrical connectors to say this is insane is beyond a joke.
I am more disappointed than anything at this stage as obviously customer service is out the window. I was hoping to come to a solution a simple one at that. I can fix it very easily but I felt like they didn’t care and were unwilling to help.
I know these plugs are available and I know I don’t need to pay over $1k to get them on a harness. I just feel they were brittle from sitting on their lot for a period of time can’t we find a solution to fix it under warranty?

Anyway rant over for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Return to Electrical