Wierd one - head unit resetting when I indicate

Wierd one - head unit resetting when I indicate

Postby adambrisbane on Wed, 31 May 2023 8:12 +0000

Ok this is a bit of a head scratcher. I've bought a N80 Hilux (2019 model with facelift) - finally saw the light and move over from the Prado. I've got it second hand, and seriously now hoping I've not bought a lemon. Here goes:

I was driving back from Toowoomba - bout an hour out of Brisbane tonight. I'd noticed as I was coming down the range when I hit the brakes the lights would 'dim' ever so slightly. Seemed to happen every time I hit the brakes, would brighten soon as I took my foot off the brake.

Then halfway home I was trying to get the high beam light bar to work and when I turned the high beam on the radio turned off and turned back on again.

I hit the high beam again, same thing happened.

I then was changing lanes and when I hit the indicator the same thing happened - radio reset then turned back on.

Finally, I tried the windows - radio was fine but when I hit the door lock button it did it again.

Pulled up and turned the car off - had a scan through this forum, couldn't find anything, then turned the car back on and it drove home no problem - no dimming when I hit the brake, the radio stayed on, high beam worked / no impact on radio etc.

Very strange.

The other thing that leads me to think the car is possessed is that the clock doesn't hold time... it loses time or appears to reset all the time - it reset today back to 1:00 but I don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

Welcome any and all though.

It's still under warranty so will be on the phone with Toyota tomorrow.
adambrisbane

Re: Wierd one - head unit resetting when I indicate

Postby adambrisbane on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 7:10 +0000

UPDATE: Hopped in this morning and the auto power windows up didn't work - ie I had to hold my finger on the electric window switch to put the driver window up / down - I turned the car off and on and then it worked.
adambrisbane

Postby witherz on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 7:54 +0000

Do you have a lot of weight on your keyring? Might sound strange but I had an old vitara that the ignition barrel got a bit loose and would intermittently lose power windows and other stuff that was triggered with ACC while driving. Jiggle the keys a bit and it came back. I'm fairly sure it was used as a security vehicle well before I had it, so there would have been a tonne of keys on the keyring making it wear loose over time.

If it's not that, it could be a loose connection somewhere. check all earth points are done up, check any locations where additions have been wired in that they're all secure.

Someone else might have experience something similar and have some more specific advice, but they're the things I'd be checking.
witherz

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:25 +0000

When I started reading I was thinking you'd lost alternator (and were running on just battery), but then you were able to restart the vehicle and go again, then I was thinking loose connection somewhere (check the battery terminals are clean & tight. I'd also see if you can find out any history on the vehicle, like maybe it's been through water, in a flood, something like that?
Let us know what you find!
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:11 +0000

i would be looking for a loose connection same where around the key or at the fuse box first
as you said it is under warranty so make the call.
dave g

Return to Electrical