Wiring an additional brake n reverse light - 2020 Hilux

Wiring an additional brake n reverse light - 2020 Hilux

Postby Davidkhan on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 2:15 +0000

Hello guys I need help wiring a light present in my hammer roll bar to the rear light. The new light consists of a brake and reverse white lights having red,white,black coloured 3 wires. Now can anyone help me with the colour coding or what wires to splice into of the rear light. The plug in the rear light has a lot of wires and I can’t figure out what colour wire does what. Thanks
Davidkhan

Re: Wiring an additional brake n reverse light - 2020 Hilux

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 8:29 +0000

Toyota wiring colour codes can change over time so you'd need to get the correct workshop manual for your vehicle. If this isn't an option then maybe you can take your VIN to your local dealership's workshop and they should be able to help you out.
As for the wiring of the lights in your new bar, I would have thought this info came with the Bar when you bought it. If not then (if they're LED lights) you could try using a little (rectangular) 9V battery (like the one in your household Smoke Detector to test out the three leads you have. I am only guessing here but I would imagine the red is the brakes, the white is the common earth and the black would then be the reversing light. Just remember this is only guessing, that's why I'd use only a small 9V battery to try it out because there shouldn't be enough juice to do any harm if you get it wrong.
Rob_Wood

Re: Wiring an additional brake n reverse light - 2020 Hilux

Postby Davidkhan on Sat, 24 Sep 2022 3:11 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Toyota wiring colour codes can change over time so you'd need to get the correct workshop manual for your vehicle. If this isn't an option then maybe you can take your VIN to your local dealership's workshop and they should be able to help you out.
As for the wiring of the lights in your new bar, I would have thought this info came with the Bar when you bought it. If not then (if they're LED lights) you could try using a little (rectangular) 9V battery (like the one in your household Smoke Detector to test out the three leads you have. I am only guessing here but I would imagine the red is the brakes, the white is the common earth and the black would then be the reversing light. Just remember this is only guessing, that's why I'd use only a small 9V battery to try it out because there shouldn't be enough juice to do any harm if you get it wrong.

Thanks a lot man yeah I’ll try to see if my dealership can help or just use a multimeter to figure em out. As for the bar I got it used so it didn’t come with any info but great idea of the 9V battery I will definitely use that(they are LEDs).
Davidkhan

Return to Electrical