Courtesy Puddle Lights

Courtesy Puddle Lights

Postby phraser22 on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 6:19 +0000

Hi all,
looking to add some courtesy lights underneath my 2017 SR5 Hilux to project some light around the doors. I am hoping to hook into the interior dome light, as these are auto on when the doors are opened and car is unlocked.
i have got a relay powering the lights from my second battery, but having trouble finding a suitable trigger wire form the dome light. I have tried running a trigger wire from the positive dome light (wire linked to the doors open switch) to the relay, but nothing coming through when on. i have heard these might be negatively switched, but struggling to find anything concrete. i know there is a dome light fuse under the bonnet, but i beleive this gives constant power to the dome so wouldn't suit my purposes of only turning on when unlocking the car or opening a door.
has anyone done this or got an idea on where i can pick up a trigger for this?
thank you in advance!
phraser22

Re: Courtesy Puddle Lights

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:54 +0000

phraser22 wrote:Hi all,
looking to add some courtesy lights underneath my 2017 SR5 Hilux to project some light around the doors. I am hoping to hook into the interior dome light, as these are auto on when the doors are opened and car is unlocked.
i have got a relay powering the lights from my second battery, but having trouble finding a suitable trigger wire form the dome light. I have tried running a trigger wire from the positive dome light (wire linked to the doors open switch) to the relay, but nothing coming through when on. i have heard these might be negatively switched, but struggling to find anything concrete. i know there is a dome light fuse under the bonnet, but i beleive this gives constant power to the dome so wouldn't suit my purposes of only turning on when unlocking the car or opening a door.
has anyone done this or got an idea on where i can pick up a trigger for this?
thank you in advance!

Most dome lights are negatively switched, if you get the light come on when you unlock, then that would be a second (likely timed) trigger most likely also negative switched. You have to decide if you want your external lights switched on with unlocking OR with door opening. Then you'd need to replace the existing switch unit itself with a two pole switching unit that uses one pole for the existing purpose and the other pole for your needs. If you want to switch on with both operations then you'd have to use 2 twin pole switches.
Rob_Wood

Re: Courtesy Puddle Lights

Postby numberplate on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 4:34 +0000

ive done this mod myself - The dome lights are negatively switched on N80s but those switch inputs only go to the body control ECU , which then switches the dome light on . Hence why you can leave a door open for 20 mins then the dome light times out. The ECU controls the dome light.
what you need to do is run a wire up to the dome light in the roof , here you will find the red wire which switches the dome light on and off , which will also time out after 20 mins or so. Use that red wire as the trigger to your relay only , Dont try to hang extra loads off that red wire or you will fry the ECU.
numberplate

Return to Electrical