2020 Mk8 front fog install with genuine stalk

2020 Mk8 front fog install with genuine stalk

Postby Dieseldazzler on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 2:37 +0000

Hi all.

I think this is in the correct section but admin feel free to move :oops:

I looked and looked for the info to do this and came up with near nothing,
so here is a quick run through of how to install a set of front fogs if your truck doesn't have any but has the wiring pre installed!

Note** From what I have read most vehicles are pre wired but may be missing a fuse or relay.
some vehicles seem to have nothing, not even wires in the connector's / fuse blocks. check these first!!

My 2020 active extra cab (UK RHD) had blanks fitted in the bumper, but HAD the 2pin connectors taped to the body just behind them.

YOU WILL NEED:

-Fog light units to match wiring
-trim panels with holes for new fog lights.
*lights and trim panels can be found as a kit online

-Stalk set with front fog switch
-20A relay PN: 90987 T2001 (possibly)
-10A mini fuse (possibly)
-6x 8Ga x 1/2" pan head screws
-trim pry tool

Click pics for full view

First thing you'll want to do is check the fuse box under/behind the glovebox, the panel directly below unclips from the front and drops out the way, unclip the lid and make sure you have a 10A in the middle row below the 2 relays (fuse 12) if you do presume its prewired..

If you don't , check to see if there is connections in the fuse holder. if yes then presumably its all prewired- pop a 10A in it.

If not your vehicle is probably not pre-wired and you will either need to find the connectors to fit in the sockets and wire them in yourself or do it the old fashioned way with a dash switch.

I used a second hand genuine stalk set from Thornton breakers, they do pop up up pretty often online but also worth a call around you local yards, mine was a total of £25.

to install the stalk you need to remove the steering wheel, airbag, column shroud, clockspring and finally the stalks,

disconnect the battery for at least 15mins prior to starting. guides to remove the airbag are about, a 5mm flat ended allen key works a treat!

Make sure your wheel is straight before proceeding otherwise it'll be "off" when you put it back together!

Disconnect the buttons and cruise control wires from the clockspring, you can leave the airbag ones, I couldn't get mine undone.

Stick a 19mm socket on the centre nut and buzz it almost all the way off, when its loose, bang the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock simultaneously towards the dash, then do the same from the back to pop it off the splines.

Undo the 3 screws holding on the column cowl, 2x staring straight at you and one under the tilt handle, pop the cowl off.

The clockspring has 4 clips 12, 3, 6 and 9, I used a small screwdriver but didn't get any pics unfortunately, gently pull it towards you and let it hang on the wire.
undo all the connectors to both sides of the stalk, its one complete unit.

Release the clips round the column bearing and gently pull towards you to remove the stalks,
my connector on the left stalk only had 9 wires on the bottom I cant remember what one was missing but it was just left of centre, both original and replacement stalks have 3 pins on the top and 10 pins on the bottom.

Reassemble everything making sure your steering wheel is straight and the airbags plugged in properly!.

Reconnect the battery and turn on the ignition, turn on full headlights and try the front fog switch, you should hear a feint click and get an illumination light on the dash to show the front fogs are on, (its the same as the rear warning light but a greeny yellow and facing the other way)

if you don't.. your most likely missing the 20A relay from behind the stereo AKA "R3 Front Fog Light" .

Removing the stereo is thankfully unnecessary just open your glovebox and pop off the heater control panel you'll need to partially remove the instrument surround (2x Scrivits) to fully get the heater panel out the way- follow the below guide at around the 3min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTlMtDezu4&ab_channel=CarbonCarSystems

Now look up behind the stereo from the bottom and you will see some blue relays, I only had R1/R4/R5 which is odd in itself as I don't have DRL's! part number for these is 90987 T2001

I used a genuine Toyota Denso 20A that I got from a scrapper ages ago same rating but a shade taller (the black one in the above pic, funnily enough the Kia Hyundai ones I also have are almost identical!

Now you can bang on the ignition and full lights and check the instrument cluster, the relay clicks will be more apparent with the dash still in bits. you should have both fog warning lights illuminated

Now all you have left to do is fit the lights themselves!

To remove the blanks open the bonnet and reach down behind the headlight to access the clips, the washer bottle neck can be removed to aid access, the clips can be a pain but persevere and you'll get it, long arms help here!.

Burst the tape on the connectors and pull them out the hole.

The lights fit from the back and you'll need 6x large panhead screws, 8Ga x 1/2" works, these can be excessively awkward to fit but removing the bottom two screws and two trim pop rivets under the bumper aids massively, a little electric screwdriver is also a lifesaver!

Re fit the screws and rivets underneath, fit your new surrounds and jobs a goodun!

You should now be all set a quick test to prove and your done!

time for a cuppa 8-)
2020, 2.4 Extra Cab 8-)
Dieseldazzler

Re: 2020 Mk8 front fog install with genuine stalk

Postby witherz on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:18 +0000

Well done! I think it deserves something a bit stronger than a cuppa tho!
There's been a few people looking to do this, but nobody that I know of got this far. Fantastic write-up, should help anyone wanting to do it themselves, thanks for taking the time to do it.
witherz

Return to Electrical