Alternator Issues

Alternator Issues

Postby randyclarke on Sat, 08 Jan 2022 7:27 +0000

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I would like some guidance please. I live in Barbados and I have a 2016 Hilux GUN126 and the alternator battery warning indicator has been showing up recently. I took the Lux to get a series of tests done and the alternator is reading the correct voltages on and off load. Took the truck for a spin with the diagnostic tool and everything read correctly. But still, the warning light appears and has everyone baffled. Replaced the battery sensor on the negative terminal, replaced the battery as the initial one had died, still the same issue. Should I just go ahead and change/ replace the alternator altogether? Could it be a computer error? Anyone else had this experience? Would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
randyclarke

Re: Alternator Issues

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 08 Jan 2022 8:14 +0000

Hi Randy, it's possible that you have a short or load somewhere. If you have tested the alternator and replaced the battery it's more likely that the fault is somewhere else. Check any extra accessories or connections which are not standard for the Hilux. It appears that there's a short or extra heavy load somewhere which is switched on with the ignition or accessories.
What work has been done lately? Any new accessories or a bullbar or winch? Look for a trapped wire.
Disconnect the positive on the battery and check the load with ignition all off, accessories on and engine ignition on and see if there's any unusual electrical loads.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Electrical