RedArc BCDC1220IGN over heating?

RedArc BCDC1220IGN over heating?

Postby Bob P on Thu, 06 Jan 2022 9:15 +0000

I have the Toyota auxiliary battery kit fitted with an AGM battery, its less than eighteen months old

Just returned from the Wheatbelt where it was 40+ every day, we did a fair bit of off road driving at slow speeds, my UHF is connected to the secondary battery and stopped working

Back home I measured the battery voltage at 6.14V which suggests it hasn't been charging, our home journey was 200Km+ at highway speeds

I have checked the physical condition of the entire installation and everything is fine

RedArc states they will work at full capacity at up to 55C, de-rate up to 80C and switch off at 85C

I suspect that it has shut down because of extreme heat, at a guess the engine compartment temperatures must have been well in excess of 100C+

Has anyone else experienced this?
Bob P

Re: RedArc BCDC1220IGN over heating?

Postby dave g on Sat, 08 Jan 2022 5:56 +0000

Where do you have the redarc installed inside the engine bay or behind the grill Where it can get a better air flow to keep it cool.
What's is the reading of the output of the redarc with the engine running or has the battery dropped a cell do a load test on the battery
On top of that it is still under warranty if Toyota installed
dave g

Return to Electrical