Spotlight wiring

Spotlight wiring

Postby 1tuff4b on Fri, 03 Sep 2021 7:29 +0000

Hi guys, need to know what I’ve done here…

Not a Hilux, but a 120 Prado v6

Just finished wiring up led spots and a light bar, both with harnesses. Spots are Earthlight with XTM harness, Led bar is kings with kings harness.
All wired up ok, test time and spots / led come on with low beam and off with high beam, so reverse polarity at lights with plug and play harnesses for spots / led to come on with high beam and off with low. All good, this works, but now lights are high beam on low beam and low beam on high, obviously as I reversed polarity.

Advice appreciated, mechanically minded, but not electrically!!! Hate electrics [emoji23][emoji23]

Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life Begins in Low Range"
1tuff4b

Re: Spotlight wiring

Postby goodiestgoodman on Wed, 03 Nov 2021 12:30 +0000

Hey mate, I'm not too familiar with wiring harnesses as I usually do it all myself.
However, I found with my hilux the lights are negatively switched meaning that when you turn your lights on the switch connects the lights to negative, not the power side

so basically your headlights always have power and are simply disconnected from earth

I was unware of this at the time when I installed my spotties

I don't know if this will solve your problem because I'm unfamiliar with the harness setup, but I had to change my relay setup.
For the switch pins on the relay, neither side should be connected to the positive terminal. The positive side of your relay should come from the wire-tap behind the headlights, and then the other pin to an earth point or negative side of the battery.

You might have already known this and dunno if this will help you at all but good luck!
goodiestgoodman

Re: Spotlight wiring

Postby nicebike on Sat, 06 Nov 2021 8:17 +0000

gooodiestgoodman is on the money.

Sounds like negative switching is the issue. Very straightforward once you get your head around it. Your connection swapping and changing has likely only made things worse. Get it all back to standard, get an understanding of negative switching and start again.

Search will find a long thread about wiring up auxiliary lights which explains this in detail.
nicebike

Return to Electrical