Steering Angle Sensor Calibration

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration

Postby LIrahara on Thu, 02 Sep 2021 4:36 +0000

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has performed a steering angle calibration before. I was changing my steering wheel, and failed to remove a plug connecting the wheel to the spiral cable enclosure. The front of the enclosure came with the steering wheel exposing all of the cable etc. I have since put it all back together and everything tests fine. The only remaining issue is that my stability control light is stuck on. I believe this has to do with the steering angle sensor having moved while i was re assembling. I dont want to pull everything apart again unless I really need to.

In doing research to correct the issue I have found youtube tutorials on calibrating the sensor by shorting terminals on the OBD2 port in a certain sequence etc. I believe is was done on the lexus, not specifically a hilux and was curious if anyone has done this before, or if they have a service manual that explains how to do this.

Im not super keen on playing with it myself without some solid information and have to go on a trip, before I can get it checked by toyota.

I have a 2016 2.8L TD 4WD Dual Cab

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LIrahara

Re: Steering Angle Sensor Calibration

Postby HeathWild on Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:09 +0000

Oh man, I did the same thing yesterday, changed the wheel and forgot to put a cover back on. popped the wheel off again and the airbag cable that is connected to the clockspring got caught and the clockspring came apart....got it back togather and it does 5 turns nicely. All steering wheel buttons work however I now have a pre-collision system malfunction warning...
OBDii tools I have access to don't pick-up the codes so can't trey a reset.

What was the outcome for your issue, did you try shorting the OBDii pins?
HeathWild

Postby LIrahara on Wed, 16 Feb 2022 12:15 +0000

Hi Heath,

Sorry for the late replay. Just found the email in the junk folder. I dont have any good news for you unfortunately. I was not game enough to start shorting anything out, potentially turning a $900 problem into a $6k problem haha. Look I asked around a few places and the only answers I got were, change the part out. I bit the bullet and took it into toyota. They told me i had a broken ribbon cable, which I know I didnt, as I examined the whole thing trying to wind it up and put it back together. The most I had was a kink, but no tears. And on top of all of that everything worked. like If I had broken a return core, then I would maybe be seeing stuff like the volume buttons not working etc. The only issue i had was the TRC light that you are talking about. I really would have liked to have marked the unit in some way so I could make sure it was replaced. The toyota dealership up here is pretty well known to pull stuff like that (I used to work for them).

I have found that this same light comes up when the system is working, and only when I have been on the beach. Seems to pop up when I have the wheels turned but momentum is still carrying me forward in the sand. Im just guessing here, but the conditions for that fault would be something along the lines of steering wheel angle is greater than a particular number while going above a certain speed. Like the car freaks out if its detecting full lock but youre doing 110kph. If you really want to avoid swapping the part out, the only other thing I can suggest is pulling the airbag off, and trying to pop that little ring off in the centre that locks the middle of the clock spring to the steering wheel. At that point it would be trial and error to rotate the centre of the clock spring until the fault disappears. This would probably need to be done while moving and would be a fair amount of effort, not to mention there is no guarantee that that some sort of reset does not need to be toggled before it recognizes everything is in its right spot.

Its an annoying one for sure, for such a simple mistake. I feel your pain.

Good luck
LIrahara

Postby Toyanon on Thu, 17 Feb 2022 10:02 +0000

Hi LIrahara,

What your experiencing when out on the beach 4wding is known as an abnormal zero point of your steering angle.

You might imagine for a second that when travelling around a corner the outside wheels have to turn faster than the inside wheels, and obviously in a strait line all four speed sensors would more or less read the same speed.

These vehicles read the value of the steering angle sensor while all 4 wheels are turning the same speed (as it assumes your going strait) and saves that value as your zero point. If your off road and all 4 wheels are spinning the same speed (like in sand)but the wheels cranked over, the ABS ecu stores this as an abnormal zero point and puts the light on.

This is why, when in sand you should flick the TRC off button on. Most of the time a few ignition cycles while driving in a strait line will reset this as the computer stores a new zero point. Sometimes we require Techstream to reset and clear errors.
Toyanon

Postby LIrahara on Sat, 26 Feb 2022 3:25 +0000

Hi Toyanon,

Thanks much for logic explanation. I wasnt aware that each wheel had a dedicated speed sensor. This makes alot of sense
LIrahara

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 26 Feb 2022 5:22 +0000

That's how abs and TRC work, if there is a speed difference between each wheel the sensors tell the system to brake the faster wheel to keep it balanced. In abs the sensors pick up if one wheel loses traction or stops turning and releases the brakes to equalise the speed between each of the wheels. That's a simple explanation but it is more complex in reality. All done in the magical world of electronics ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Bru on Wed, 16 Mar 2022 12:16 +0000

Have same problem been quoted $1100 Plus fitting for new part.Have looked on google and it shows you can buy after market steering angle sensor for About $400.It appears toyota only sell complete assy,has anyone just replaced aftermarket sensor?
Doddo
Bru

Return to Electrical