Tail Lights popping fuse.

Tail Lights popping fuse.

Postby mudrunna on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 7:43 +0000

Hi all. I have been through the forum looking for a solution to current problem, no joy. Appreciate anyone's time on this. 2018 Hilux Taillight issue. Keeps popping the 10amp under dash micro fuse. I’ve done checks on bulb connections/wiring, trailer plug/wiring, checked/disconnected electrical accessories fitted to the Hilux since it was purchased new. Thought it may have been the front park/indicator lights mounted in the bull bar, so disconnected ... problem persists. Also disconnected the number plate wiring at back of tray; problem persists. Only hint of problem is when fuse is replaced, front park bulbs go dim … fuse pops (I can't say when or what causes the fuse to pop :oops: ) and they go full bright. Thanks for reading. Any tips/advice very very much appreciated. Cheers, Shane.
mudrunna

Re: Tail Lights popping fuse.

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 8:54 +0000

Front wiring shorted, have you checked the bullbar to see if any wiring is trapped/pinched? If it was fitted by a dealer it would be covered by warranty. If Toyota fitted the bullbar they would have also fitted a relay box for lights etc. If not fitted by Toyota then the installer may not have put a relay in for the bullbar lights. It's necessary. Is the towbar a Toyota fitted one? If so it would include the wiring package. Do the trailer lights work/blow fuse when attached? It all sounds like a wiring problem and if the bullbar lights go dim then that's the first place to look.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Silverfox1111 on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:24 +0000

Might pay to check the 2 relays in the towbar wiring harness. Their up near the spare tyre in 2 waterproof covers(?). I had a problem with my vans brake lights staying on & it turned out one of the replays was full of water.
Hint: don't have your face directly under them when you open it up!
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby mudrunna on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 12:16 +0000

Thanks Gypsy. The only wiring going to the bull bar is for the park/indicator lights ... I've completely disconnected them ... problem persists. It's actually the Hilux park lights which dim, not the bull bar lights (now disconnected) I'll recheck the tow bar wiring. It is a Toyota fitted bar. Connecting the trailer doesn't appear to be the cause of the fuse blowing. Thanks heaps for your help. Cheers. When I solve the problem, I'll be sure to let you all know.
mudrunna

Postby mudrunna on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 12:19 +0000

Hi Silverfox. The two relays in the tow bar wiring harness is a great tip. I'm onto it! Will check this afternoon.
Thanks so much
mudrunna

Postby numberplate on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 2:48 +0000

i'd be suspicious of wiring that has been pinched under the tray , when it was fitted
numberplate

Postby mudrunna on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 6:13 +0000

Thanks number plate. I've had a good look through all of the harness under tray, will re check and let you know how I get on. Cheers and thanks.
mudrunna

Postby Myralga on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 7:44 +0000

Totally random one for you.

Do you have a long range tank? And if yes how longs it been in the car?

If so it is possible to pinch the wiring harness between tank and chassis/body on certain tanks if you don’t pay attention while installing it.

Check the harness as best you can from back of cabin to front of tank. As long as you can see/feel it’s free and not crushed should be good to go.

Seen this cause heaps of weird faults in the past as it depends which wires break or wear through first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby numberplate on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 4:30 +0000

just a guess here - but if you remove the left kickpanel you will find connectors for all the wiring that goes to the back of the car. If you un plug all those , in theory , it will narrow down whether the fault is the front wiring harness or something in the rear.
numberplate

Postby martynvella on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 6:07 +0000

numberplate wrote:just a guess here - but if you remove the left kickpanel you will find connectors for all the wiring that goes to the back of the car. If you un plug all those , in theory , it will narrow down whether the fault is the front wiring harness or something in the rear.

Finally a suggestion employing logic.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 6:32 +0000

Thanks Martyn I think we're all doing the best we can, as you often say, without the vehicle in front of you it's hard to diagnose online.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby martynvella on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 7:20 +0000

We all have different ways of tracing shorts, I have told people my most successful way on here before but as fuses get phisically smaller it becomes more dangerous, and these new micro fuses are just a joke.
A lot of people are not aware that if you give advice, especially in writing you become liable for anything goes wrong and damage is caused. Why do you think all the mechanics disappeared off this forum when the injector seal issue hit the fan.

An auto sparky with a few years experience will have it sorted in an hour, 2 tops, compare that to the fine for driving without tail lights.

The suggestion to disconnect the rear should be fruitful, just dont turn the ignition on, it will caus numerous codes to be logged.

The fact the front lights glow before the fuse pops is an indication the short is a good distance from the fuse and NOT between the fuse and front lights. If it was the voltage at the front lights would be zero after the short.
martynvella

Postby numberplate on Fri, 16 Jul 2021 4:29 +0000

I agree martynvella , if the fault cannot be found after a couple of basic checks or visual inspection the car should be looked at by a professional.
numberplate

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 07 Aug 2021 6:55 +0000

G'day mudrunna
Got an update on the problem/fix?
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Return to Electrical