Trailer stop lights 2

Trailer stop lights 2

Postby Silverfox1111 on Wed, 16 Jun 2021 5:17 +0000

Gday all
I haven't been ignoring the replies, I keep getting an error message when I try to reply.
It was installed by an auto electrical mob in albion Park rail.
I will check out the installation at the brake pedal tomorrow.
Don't know if it was wrong all the time since install as the missus checks the lights before we move off. I only noticed when I checked them for a rego inspection.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Re: Trailer stop lights 2

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 17 Jun 2021 6:47 +0000

My guess is the sparky tapped the incorrect (+ve) side of the brake switch meaning the lights stay on. The incorrect side of the brake switch would affect the controller (always on) but it appears no problems there. Where did the sparky tap in for the brake lights on the socket? That's more likely!
Edit: I thought of this later, do you have the Toyota tow pack (towbar and wiring)? If you do, the Toyota wiring includes a 'black box' relay which includes all the lights etc, but if you had it wired by a sparky it may have taken the brake light
signal from somewhere else.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Silverfox1111 on Thu, 17 Jun 2021 3:10 +0000

G'day all
I've just fixed this issue.
Gipsy, you were very close with the fix. There are two relays in the toyota towing wiring loom, situated near the spare tyre. One of these was full of water & corroded in the "closed" position. A quick trip to supercheap for a new one & it's all good now.
Only problem I had with the fix was having my face directly under the relay & it's housing when I opened it up & getting a face full of rusty water!!
Thanks all for your help.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 18 Jun 2021 7:04 +0000

Glad I could be of assistance Silverfox ;)
I've got one of those elusive problems, my Hilux doesn't always start if parked on an angle nose up... So far I can only presume the fuel is syphoning back to the tank due to a minute air leak somewhere. :shock: wracking my brain over that one :oops:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby numberplate on Fri, 18 Jun 2021 3:32 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Glad I could be of assistance Silverfox ;)
I've got one of those elusive problems, my Hilux doesn't always start if parked on an angle nose up... So far I can only presume the fuel is syphoning back to the tank due to a minute air leak somewhere. :shock: wracking my brain over that one :oops:

maybe try pumping the primer before you start the car , to restore pressure
numberplate

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 19 Jun 2021 7:32 +0000

Thanks numberplate, that's what I do when it happens, but it would be great if I can find the problem. I don't know if there's a non return valve somewhere in the system. That's likely to be it.
Gipsy

Return to Electrical