Dashboard illumination not working with lights switched off

Dashboard illumination not working with lights switched off

Postby HiFiStu on Fri, 13 Nov 2020 5:21 +0000

I have imported a 2014 Hilux from Portugal due to the owner going missing presumed dead.
The dashboard does not light up unless the side lights or headlights are on and then is not bright enough for daylight driving.
I have checked all fuses but all are OK.
Any suggestions please?
HiFiStu

Re: Dashboard illumination not working with lights switched

Postby witherz on Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:00 +0000

If the car comes with an owners manual check there, or download one from online - there should be a way to adjust the brightness. I think it is with the manual push-button near the speedo, but can't quite remember (it may be different depending on model too).
There are also sensors on the top of the dash near the windscreen that are used for adjusting the brightness of the dash, and controlling headlights when in auto mode - make sure these aren't covered or something else affecting them.
That's about all I can think of... let us know if you get it sorted out
witherz

Re: Dashboard illumination not working with lights switched

Postby HiFiStu on Thu, 19 Nov 2020 5:22 +0000

Hello, thank-you for your reply. The truck was imported by a car import company and they converted it to UK spec including changing the speedo from km to mph. I have stripped the dashboard down to the PCB and there are no LEDs to backlight the dashboard other than those for when the main lights are on so it seems that the import company have fitted the wrong facia and I should be able to see the facia without the lights being on. I am working with them to sort this out.
HiFiStu

Return to Electrical