Sat Nav Accuracy

Sat Nav Accuracy

Postby specwarop on Mon, 01 Jun 2020 6:56 +0000

Hey all,

Just having this issue on my Hilux (<1000km), where the sat nav or GPS accuracy is really poor.

As you can see in the attached photo, the sat nav was placing me well off the highway that I was actually on. When I first got the car it was fine, but quickly got like this, now even when in the middle of the city it is miles off my actual location.

Has anyone else experienced this, what should I do just talk to Toyota?

specwarop

Re: Sat Nav Accuracy

Postby Bushwalker8 on Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:12 +0000

I don't have one of these (SR with Android head unit + real GPS) but the principles are the same.
CBD's are bad examples, worst accuracy due to excessive signal multipath however your open highway example should be fine.
All GPS signals & positions vary all over the place with respect to the maps so road navigator software normally defaults to "lock on road" to make it simple for you and the navigation calculations. It can be an optional setting in a good handheld e.g. where surprisingly you may not be walking in the middle of the freeway, or in off-road units.
Your screenshot looks like raw positioning without lock on road active.
The only single reference to lock on road I can see in the Toyota manual is with respect to the position marker (vehicle/arrow icon) - page 64 in my copy. Try touching that to see if there are any options to toggle lock on road on/off.
Another obvious check, the external GPS antenna unit is up just under the centre of the dash. I cant see in the photo but do you have anything mounted there or possibly overhead blocking it's view of satellites or electronically interfering with the signals? If the satellite signals are bad the induced error may exceed the units software distance threshold for locking to the nearest road.
Otherwise drop past your dealer and ask them the quick question.
Bushwalker8

Postby Andyfive on Mon, 01 Jun 2020 3:38 +0000

This normally happens when the road has moved. Pacific Highway heading north into Ballina is a prime example. In this case the DATA in your GPS is old and outdated.

If this happens on roads that used to work, you may have had poor satellite coverage.
Andyfive

Postby rudyy on Mon, 01 Jun 2020 5:39 +0000

I'm worried and need to know if you made it to a petrol station??? :D
rudyy

Postby Bushwalker8 on Tue, 02 Jun 2020 10:42 +0000

Andyfive wrote: ...road has moved......DATA in your GPS is old and outdated

Valid point however in this case it's a new vehicle and in the few weeks he's had it has noticed sudden & significant degradation apparently over a wide area city / highway. I did also look over the length of the example road and the 2018 & 2020 imagery doesn't show signs of any realignment work commencing & conditions for signal look normal.
Bushwalker8

Postby advhodgo on Fri, 17 Jul 2020 5:07 +0000

yes quite often get this happen. After the vehicle is stationary for a while it tends to sort it self out.

VERY annoying. thinking of getting rid of the standard SR5 head unit all together.
advhodgo

Postby specwarop on Fri, 17 Jul 2020 6:12 +0000

That would cost a fair bit?
specwarop

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 18 Jul 2020 6:42 +0000

Recently, our Sat nav was 180° out. Was travelling north on the Hume highway but the compass & map were aligned as if travelling South. It eventually worked it out.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 18 Jul 2020 10:27 +0000

Might be the gears, were you in "R"? :shock:
Bushwalker8

Postby Mhewitt on Sat, 18 Jul 2020 6:30 +0000

...at least you're listening to decent music whilst you get lost.
2017 graphite SR5 extra-cab
Mhewitt

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 27 Jan 2021 2:46 +0000

Back in the naughty's we could tell whether the Yanks were bombing or not by how close the GPS in our fire trucks were reading. Quite interesting to watch the news later and see some guided missile going into a particular building, when only a few hours earlier we didn't have to look for smoke signals because our GPS Units put us right there.

Having said that, our aftermarket GPS Units needed an initial setup before accuracy of any kind was available. We needed to set up whether using grid references or lat/longs, the GDS Data type and a bunch of other things. Do these "Dash Fitted" units maybe need an initial setup so that you're reading and using the right data format?
Rob_Wood

Postby johndodson on Sat, 26 Jun 2021 9:32 +0000

I had similar problems when the dealer put the "service sticker" over the GPS antenae (near the RV mirror)
once removed & cleaned it was back to normal.

However the map data is CRAP & a recent quote for new data is $195 with no guarantee at all that the data
will be accurate or even up to date (last 2019 update was 2017 data!)

I'm still encouraged to turn right at a No Right turn that's been there for >20 years! (Apple/tomtom/google know about it!)
Despite updating the map data myself at https://mapcreator.here.com on the advice of the dealer!
What a crock the nav system is!

Is there a way of getting an apple/google play app for the thing perhaps?
johndodson

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 02 Aug 2021 7:13 +0000

johndodson wrote:Is there a way of getting an apple/google play app for the thing perhaps?

GOOGLES "Maps" App on my android phone works ok. My ute is too old, but if you've got android auto, then maybe you can sort something out there?
Rob_Wood

Postby Myralga on Wed, 04 Aug 2021 7:34 +0000

As too your problem to have it degrade that rapidly I would think the receiver has had something happen.

My understanding is that the GPS receiver like someone else said is actually in under the dash just stuck in behind the headunit.
It may have come free and fallen down causing the degradation in signal.
I believe the receiver you see on the windscreen is the digital radio but I could be wrong.

As for a no tearing the car apart solution when it plays up like that next. I can’t remember where it is but I definitely remember seeing a way to see how many sats your connected to and your signal quality.
Atleast in my 17 lux anyway I just can’t remember if it was a simple thing to find or if you needed to enter a service mode thing. Someone who works with toyota all the time might be able to point in a more specific direction but have a good look through the settings on the sat stuff you might stumble on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Return to Electrical