Cabling from solar into ARB Ascent Canopy

Cabling from solar into ARB Ascent Canopy

Postby TheGruffulo on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 7:36 +0000

I am looking at putting solar on the roof of my ARB Ascent canopy. Trying to work out a way to get the cables into the canopy that is reasonably efficient (not a km of cable), hidden, doesn't leak and doesn't look like a dog's breakfast. Does anyone have any ideas or seen something that looked good? Thanks in advance.
TheGruffulo

Re: Cabling from solar into ARB Ascent Canopy

Postby Myralga on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 9:59 +0000

I take it you want to go into the canopy as that’s where your battery system is? If so then below are options. If not then stay outside the canopy and run down between cabin and canopy and keep the canopy water tight.

There is no real easy way into the canopy. I personally can only think of one main way into the canopy and that’s the front left hand corner (where the main harness goes in) but that’s a small and very tight grommet. It took me ages just to squeeze a tiny dash cam cable in so a big solar cable will be a lot harder. Near impossible

The only other suggestion I have without drilling and putting your own grommet into the shell (it’s only plastic so easy enough) would be to run down the front of the canopy between body and canopy and then back in under the front into the wheel well through the front of the tub (look in under the lip in the front and rear corners you will find large holes to run cables through. You can pop the clips etc on the inner wheel arch to allow better access etc. on the outside also.)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby TheGruffulo on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 12:14 +0000

Thanks for writing Myralga. I may have to cable gland the shell.
TheGruffulo

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 4:12 +0000

Not an easy task. I snuck mine in through the rear door drain gutter but the Caddy Systems canopy is a unique design so probably won’t work on others.
HK1837

Return to Electrical