USB

USB

Postby TOMMYToy on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 3:56 +0000

Hi,

So I have search and found some info on this but it relates to different models. Maybe it hasn't changed from earlier models but here goes.

What is the output on the Gen 8 USB charger. My phone barely charges and I am wondering if its the cable or the output from the car?

Cheers
TT
TOMMYToy

Re: USB

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 7:18 +0000

I don't know the answer to this - but I do know one USB port ain't enough.

I replaced one of the two cigarette power outlets with a dual usb outlet. The dashboard hole needed opening up a couple of mm; work of a moment with a step drill. I found one with blue backlight to match the other switches and a cover not dissimilar to the cigarette power outlet, so it looks factory.
2017 graphite SR5 extra-cab
Mhewitt

Postby Bushwalker8 on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 8:34 +0000

The USB isn't intended to charge phones, it's not part of the vehicle power circuit. It's primarily an input connected directly to/from the Fujitsu head unit - which does provide a trickle back down to the device to keep it alive while it's sending up the media files.

Best to use the DC outlet which is designed to provide up to 10A and plug in a cheap USB charger.

As explained you can also add another socket, in my SR I added the additional Toyota OEM socket as provided with SR5.

** However be careful with the vehicle wiring here! The lilac colored wiring supplying the acc socket power is special, it's not obvious but the internal conductors are aluminium (not copper) and are NOT compatible with any commonly available crimps or taps, can't be soldered and are easily damaged.**

I ran in a separate fused power source that supplied the second socket as well as some others in the back seat area for charging other devices.
Bushwalker8

Postby Myralga on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 8:35 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:The USB isn't intended to charge phones, it's not part of the vehicle power circuit. It's primarily an input connected directly to/from the Fujitsu head unit - which does provide a trickle back down to the device to keep it alive while it's sending up the media files.

Best to use the DC outlet which is designed to provide up to 10A and plug in a cheap USB charger.

As explained you can also add another socket, in my SR I added the additional Toyota OEM socket as provided with SR5.

** However be careful with the vehicle wiring here! The lilac colored wiring supplying the acc socket power is special, it's not obvious but the internal conductors are aluminium (not copper) and are NOT compatible with any commonly available crimps or taps, can't be soldered and are easily damaged.**

I ran in a separate fused power source that supplied the second socket as well as some others in the back seat area for charging other devices.

I just put a piggy back fuse into the acc fuse port under the dash for switched power options (UHF extra power etc) no trying to solder the impossible wire in the confines of the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby TOMMYToy on Mon, 06 May 2019 5:37 +0000

Thanks All. I found a dual USB port DC plug in. Matching light colour to the car interior lights also :) .....Minimal work. Dont understand why they do not supply more power into the USB port,,,but heyho.
TOMMYToy

Postby ggreenie on Mon, 06 May 2019 6:52 +0000

TOMMYToy wrote:Hi,

So I have search and found some info on this but it relates to different models. Maybe it hasn't changed from earlier models but here goes.

What is the output on the Gen 8 USB charger. My phone barely charges and I am wondering if its the cable or the output from the car?

Cheers
TT

Notwithstanding the other replies, I’d say it’s your cable. My phone charges fine off the USB port.
ggreenie

Postby dabbler on Mon, 06 May 2019 10:17 +0000

Most original head units only support low current draw from the USB port. The standards for USB 1.0 and 2.0 specify 0.5 Amps output.

Some devices won't open a charging circuit if current is too low. All the tech boards recommend using dedicated third-party usb charger or port, especially if you need "fast charging".
dabbler

Postby Sartor on Tue, 07 May 2019 3:02 +0000

I believe the sole purpose of the port is to connect a USB memory or your phone to the multimedia head unit. I manage to charge my Evolveo and CAT phones through it (they are classic, no OS phones whose battery lasts for a month). I charge the smart phone off the AC 100W outlet in the middle box.
Sartor

Postby Micky1 on Wed, 08 May 2019 7:25 +0000

I installed a lightforce dual 2.1 amp USB outlet next to the USB outlet, chargers the phones and tablets great.
Micky1

Postby Ash81192 on Wed, 19 Jun 2019 8:41 +0000

TOMMYToy wrote:Thanks All. I found a dual USB port DC plug in. Matching light colour to the car interior lights also :) .....Minimal work. Dont understand why they do not supply more power into the USB port,,,but heyho.

Can you send me a link to where you bought your dual USB port from? And is it the EXACT same colour blue as the original Toyota lights?

I want to buy a dual USB charger but can't seem to find any with matching lights
Ash81192

Postby TOMMYToy on Tue, 25 Jun 2019 6:19 +0000

Ash81192 wrote:
TOMMYToy wrote:Thanks All. I found a dual USB port DC plug in. Matching light colour to the car interior lights also :) .....Minimal work. Dont understand why they do not supply more power into the USB port,,,but heyho.

Can you send me a link to where you bought your dual USB port from? And is it the EXACT same colour blue as the original Toyota lights?

I want to buy a dual USB charger but can't seem to find any with matching lights

it is a very close match. ill post a pic in coming days.
TOMMYToy

Postby Ash81192 on Fri, 28 Jun 2019 9:58 +0000

TOMMYToy wrote:
Ash81192 wrote:

it is a very close match. ill post a pic in coming days.

Excellent, looking forward to it
Ash81192

Return to Electrical