Power tap when doors unlocked

Power tap when doors unlocked

Postby camelius on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 11:29 +0000

I have installed a rear canopy with power locks and the rear and side windows can only be popped with a remote only.
But I don't like to carry another remote just for the canopy. I have hardwired a button on the dash and also I'd like to install a push button outside the canopy.

Is there a wire which have power only when the doors are unlocked?
camelius

Re: Power tap when doors unlocked

Postby clyde on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 8:26 +0000

Hi, I have an ARB canopy fitted, and the locking is on/off with the keyless entry.
The power wire for this is located from the 'passenger compartment relay box No.1'.
Remove your LH kick panel and you should see a black fuse panel at the top. The
fuse point used on mine is the sixth fuse position from the top; from the info I have
its originally power for rear fog lights.
Check http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/toyota/ ... agram.html
clyde

Postby clyde on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 8:39 +0000

Just to add; it made me wonder what circuit is feeding this, so I checked out the wiring schematic and this fuse is apparently fed straight from the battery. So I've had a quick look at my vehicle; it seems that there is a control module fitted by ARB further down the line. I'll track it down and post when I can.
Also my vehicle is a 2016 SR5 V6, to compare apples...
clyde

Postby clyde on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 11:59 +0000

Ok, so I've found the controller that I assume is an ARB product, mounted under my rear seat. It's a latching relay, so I'm guessing that due to where they've mounted it, they have tapped into the signals for the central locking motor. Central lock motors change polarity to lock/unlock, so with a bit of wiring and a latching relay, you could achieve the same thing... Depends on your level of expertise with wiring....
I've had a look over the power feed schematics to see if there was an easy answer, but no luck.
So much is now controlled by the body ECU... :x
clyde

Postby Myralga on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 5:40 +0000

Power is picked up as above you will notice there is a patch harness into one of the plugs behind that kick panel also. That’s where the locking is picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby camelius on Sun, 09 Sep 2018 5:12 +0000

Thank you for the detailed explanations guys. But i think it's my bad (or poor English) not to be able to explain the situation.
The canopy i have does not have a handle or nothing. The only way to open it is pressing the canopy's remote controller and this activates the two central lock motors on both sides and rear door pops up.
What i want to do is, install a waterproof push button outside the canopy rear door. And i want this button to operate only when the doors are unlocked. So I need a wire which has power only when the car is unlocked.

camelius

Postby clyde on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 7:46 +0000

Camelius,

That is the case with my canopy; the opening push buttons are only powered when the car is unlocked.
However from what I can find, Toyota does not provide a power source in this way, you need to wire your own using a relay system linked to the toyota door locks.
clyde

Postby camelius on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 8:08 +0000

clyde wrote:Camelius,

That is the case with my canopy; the opening push buttons are only powered when the car is unlocked.
However from what I can find, Toyota does not provide a power source in this way, you need to wire your own using a relay system linked to the toyota door locks.

Thank you Clyde.
I think i have to install a microswitch in one of the door lock motors. Under these circumstances, this looks like the most convenient way.
camelius

Postby fracturedranga on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:02 +0000

What about your interior light? Doesn't it come on when the doors are unlocked?
fracturedranga

Postby camelius on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 3:05 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:What about your interior light? Doesn't it come on when the doors are unlocked?

I’ve tought about that. But they light up just for 10-20 seconds. Then turn off.
camelius

Return to Electrical