DLR's not working

DLR's not working

Postby grunf on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 7:22 +0000

Maybe two moths ago I replaced factory DRL/parkers globes with STEDI LED's. (The car I have is in my signature.)
Worked awesome.
Couple of days ago when I started a car in the evening I lost all background lights on my dashboard accessory switches.
Switches still worked, just no background lights.
I checked outside and noticed that tail lights did not work and my DLR's (including the ones on bullbar).

I checked the usual suspects, blown globe on the tail lights but they were all OK.
Fuse which was blown was "Tail" 10amp fuse under the glove box.
Tried replacing fuse but it blew up as soon as I switched lights back on.

Went to local auto electrician yesterday who traced the problem to front right DRL/parker globe.
Went to STEDI shop just few kms up the road and god the replacement globe. They were a bit surprised that their LED failed after such a short time.

Got home, installed that new globe and replaced the "Tail" fuse, started the car and put the light on "park" and voila I had background accessory lights back on.
Switched lights to "on", still same DRL and headlights are working.

However, if I switch my lights to "auto", DLR's should work all the time and then headlights kick in when sensor detects lack of daylight.
In saying that, my DLR's do not work during the day when the light switch is on "auto", once the headlights kick in my DLR's come on as well.

Strange, but works great for me because I hated DLR's and not having an option to switch them off. Now it appears if I just leave light switch in "auto" my DLR's are not working haha - beautiful.

I have scanned for any ECU codes and there is none, and there is no messages on dashboard screen.

I don't know why this happened, but turned out OK :shock: :?
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Re: DLR's not working

Postby Godzilla73 on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 10:41 +0000

Not sure if the SR does the same as an SR5 but with mine, my lights are on Auto all the time. I start my Ute to warm up in the dark, drl's headlights all come on. In the the arvo I leave work in daylight quite often start Ute up and have a chat and I've noticed the drl's don't light up until I put it in drive...
Godzilla73

Postby grunf on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 10:59 +0000

Mine did the same mate.
Just to be sure I actually checked again 5 minutes ago. Started the car, put the lights in "auto", pull the handbrake all the way up and placed the car in drive. went out to check, no DLR's.

Would be interesting to know what happened and if it can be reproduced if someone else does not like them.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby grunf on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 11:04 +0000

I just thought of something.
Recently I changed the settings for the headlights sensor sensitivity to -40 as described in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=118&p=392396#p392311

but as far as I can recall, DLR's were working after that, but can not be sure.

Also, I think, judging by the light intensity, I suspect that my parker light dont work, instead when I switch to parker my DLR's are coming on as they are really bright compared to what my parkers were before the fuse blew up.
grunf

Postby Viper82 on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 9:40 +0000

When I had my bullbar installed some how they managed to blow the DRL globe. So when I would drive during the day nothing would light up. Then when dark headlamps on and parkers would light up. They are a dual filament bulb the standard ones and they just blew the DRL filament not the parker filament. Mine is a SR

Have you got the standard globes still ? try putting them back in and see what happens ?
Viper82

Postby grunf on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 12:17 +0000

Viper I do have standard globes, I just tried what you suggested and it is the same ... DLR's not working :D

parkers are working, and staying on when headlights are on, but when switch is in "auto" during the day, the DLR's are not on, which is great in my case haha

Whatever tricked this stupid car in doing that its great!
grunf

Postby StuartO on Sat, 11 May 2019 12:37 +0000

I have the same dilemma. My parking lights are working, however the 20w section(DRLs) are not working. I have also changed the settings of my headlight sensitivity recently on my 2016 SR Hilux.

I believe they were working after this though, and I have also changed the settings back to (0) standard and still no DRL's. No fuses blown and tried with my LED lights and also standard halogen globes.

I have also had the car into Toyota recently for the DPF recall and they were meant to turn a light on in the dash when there is a burn. It may be coincidental, now my DRL's do not work and I have no DPF burn light being displayed. Maybe they changed the wrong setting and turned the DRL's off??

Can anyone confirm if there is a selectable DRL setting in the menu for an SR? Or is there a method to access this ourselves that I have somehow accidentally done.

Thanks for any assistance.
StuartO

Postby gjn on Sun, 12 May 2019 4:41 +0000

There is no "light" on the dashboard for a DPF burn. The dealer can set it up so that a message shows up on the dashboard display panel when a burn is happening. Works on my 2016 SR cab-chassis
gjn

Return to Electrical