Dash error after wiring up spotties

Dash error after wiring up spotties

Postby Craimos on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 8:08 +0000

hi brains trust,

after installing a new wiring loom, i have an error code come up on my dash computer on my 2017 SR5 hilux. says "Headlight system malfunction. Visit your dealer."

everything works fine when the car isn't running (on accessories), but if its running and i switch on high beam, the dash lights go out and then eventually this message appears.

Strange this is, i have just repeated the previous spotlight wiring from the light bar and have had no problems with that one for the 15 months its has been on there.

might need a good Auto Electrician (Perth), or a visit to Toyota unless someone can "shine a light"on the solution (see what i did there?).

Cheers,

Craig.
Craimos

Re: Dash error after wiring up spotties

Postby outbackjoe on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 4:48 +0000

Check voltage when turning on lights. If there is problem with lights it could be pulling voltage down too low.
outbackjoe

Postby martynvella on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 5:50 +0000

Instead of repeating the existing light bar wiring, try taking your feeds from the light bar side of the bars relay, then the new wiring wont interfere in the original headlight circuit at all.

I am unfamiliar with the new models but the extra load of another relay might be all it takes to show a mismatch or un balance and confuse things.

Another thing to try would be solid state relays, they do not introduce any inductance and a lot less load on the original circuits.

Many ECMs ping circuits with a very short pulse periodically to test them, inductance added to the circuit can affect the test.
martynvella

Postby Craimos on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 9:00 +0000

thanks for the replies guys.

i got an auto electrician to have a look yesterday. seems like i connected the relay with an existing bolt in the side of the engine bay that interrupted the earth for the headlight assembly. he took it out and cable tied the relay somewhere else and problem solved!

now i just have to find a good spot to put the light bar as the HID's take up all the room on the front.

Cheers.
Craimos

Return to Electrical