BRAKE OVERRIDE MALFUNCTION

Postby NofishNT on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 6:16 +0000

Hello all,

I’ve have my Hilux for just over a year now and have been on the forum for some time but this is my first post.

I had an electrical issue over the weekend and was not able to find any info so I thought I would share.

I was out four wheel driving over the weekend and gave the lux a reasonable workout. A river crossing and some dry creek crossings that required low range and the use of traction control, which worked extremely well. In the middle of nowhere I got a dash alert telling me something wasn’t quite right.
[WARNING SIGN]️ BRAKE OVERRIDE MALFUNCTION VISIT YOUR DEALER
everything seemed to be working properly except every time I braked it would beep and display the message. I stopped the car and checked under the bonnet and underneath for a possible cause. Everything seemed in order. I went drive off again but the transmission was locked in Park. I used the manual override to get it out of Park and did a brake test to check the brakes and ABS, which both worked as normal, however the traction control light and ABS warning light activated. After reading the the manual, disconnecting the battery for half an hour, to no avail and 300km from town with no mobile reception I didn’t have much choice and made my way home. On the way I had a new message appear
I made it home without any issues and with the dealer closed for the long weekend decided to try and rectify the fault. After some time it finally dawned on me to check the fuses. Damn I wish I thought of that sooner. I located the culprit fuse in the engine bay, labelled of all things ‘Brake’. I replaced the fuse and everything is all good.
No fault messages, no lights and everything working.

Just thought I would pass this on in case someone comes across the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NofishNT

Postby Myralga on Mon, 06 Aug 2018 8:20 +0000

I had similar warning light on my old 07 (they didn’t have a digital display like the new ones.) ABS and Traction control.
For me my fault came (twice) from a snapped abs wiring harness on the rear Diff both times it happened in Long grass pig chasing. Would not surprise me if the wires touched that the fuse would blow.
Not saying your fault is the same just a similar issue.
And worth a look for anyone coming across this thread in the future.
The wires on the rear Diff are very exposed certainly a possible cause. (And both times my dealer had the part on the shelf telling me it might be more common then expected.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Re: BRAKE OVERRIDE MALFUNCTION

Postby Ben80 on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 4:09 +0000

Probably got water in a taillight or shorted trailer plug during water crossings, that fuse is for the stop lights.
Ben80

Postby Ben80 on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 4:09 +0000

Probably got water in a taillight or shorted trailer plug during water crossings, that fuse is for the stop lights.
Ben80

Postby gentoopeng on Sat, 07 Sep 2019 10:04 +0000

Thanks very much for this post, it has been a real saviour. I'm currently 500km out of Perth, WA on an outback station. I have to get to Perth tomorrow to catch a flight to Brisbane as my mum is in palliative care and on her last days and this problem, exactly as you described, occurred. I had given up hope until a Google Search lead me to your post, replaced the fuse and we are on the road again.

Thanks very much again.

Rob
gentoopeng

Postby chevaps on Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:56 +0000

NofishNT and gentoopeng, just reaching out to determine the root cause of your brake fuses blowing so it doesn't happen again.

What trailer wiring harness do you have installed (if any)? Genuine Toyota or generic/aftermarket? I have seen some real shonky trailer wiring over the years, and wouldn't be surprised if a generic/aftermarket trailer wiring installation was your issue.

Cheers.
chevaps

Postby Jado on Mon, 04 May 2020 3:35 +0000

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is really a rescue to many people. I am a Mechanic and a car (Toyota Pick-up 2017) was brought to me to fix the dashboard light for brake override. I didn't have any idea of where to start until I come up to this post!! I checked the fuse and it was blown, replaced it and everything is fixed. Now they are cheering me as a pro!!
Jado

Postby NZMarkb on Mon, 04 May 2020 3:40 +0000

How’s your wheel alignment
I knocked mine out in some rocky river crossings a few years back and had the same warning lights
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical