Phone Cradle Wiring

Phone Cradle Wiring

Postby DaveSumm on Thu, 28 Jun 2018 5:41 +0000

Hi, all

Hoping an auto sparky can help me out. I’ve recently bought a powered iPhone cradle that needs to be permanently wired in either to constant or ignition live. I hate visible cables and want to run it as neatly as possible from the cradle (top right corner of touch screen) to wherever is most sensible behind the dash.

Where’s the best place to run it? I’m hoping there’s somewhere on the driver’s side but i’ve no idea which cables I can splice into. I only need to run a 2 amp inline fuse.

Behind the glove box is easier (for me) but then i have to route an ugly cable right across the centre of my dash.

Happy to remove fascia to gain access but i don’t want to damage anything. Is there a way to get behind the touch screen to get from right to left?

Thanks
Manual 2017 SR5 | MT ATZ P3 R17/265/70 | King OEM Shocks | Rhino Evo Front Bar & winch
DaveSumm

Re: Phone Cradle Wiring

Postby Myralga on Thu, 28 Jun 2018 6:21 +0000

Ok not the best pic for you but at least gives you an idea.

So power is easy either pick up via a jumper fuse off the cig socket fuse left hand foot well or find a constant 12v in the same spot depending if you want switched or constant (it’s a white fuse box with a hinged lid remove lid and store in a safe place then jump in)

As for running wires well the dash on the Hilux comes apart fairly easy. Pull out the bottom glove box with just a few clips. and top box is just clipped in pull on it from inside surface and it should come relatively easy. (I take no responsibility if you break something though) Im mainly speaking from an SR5 17 model.

As for where to bring the wires out. When I ran the ARB Linx Unit to LH side it needed a USB cable.
So what I did was felt around on the air vent found a safe space and drilled a hole behind the directional vanes but in front of shut off control flap to run the cable through. That way it’s not that obvious if I remove it in the future.
Same principle should work for the RH Side.

Also there is a lot of space under the dash on RH side around steering etc so should easily be able to get hands etc up in to run wires etc.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby DaveSumm on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 6:52 +0000

That's a big help. Thanks, mate
Manual 2017 SR5 | MT ATZ P3 R17/265/70 | King OEM Shocks | Rhino Evo Front Bar & winch
DaveSumm

Postby rogie_rogers on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 6:13 +0000

Myralga wrote:Ok not the best pic for you but at least gives you an idea.

So power is easy either pick up via a jumper fuse off the cig socket fuse left hand foot well or find a constant 12v in the same spot depending if you want switched or constant (it’s a white fuse box with a hinged lid remove lid and store in a safe place then jump in)

As for running wires well the dash on the Hilux comes apart fairly easy. Pull out the bottom glove box with just a few clips. and top box is just clipped in pull on it from inside surface and it should come relatively easy. (I take no responsibility if you break something though) Im mainly speaking from an SR5 17 model.

As for where to bring the wires out. When I ran the ARB Linx Unit to LH side it needed a USB cable.
So what I did was felt around on the air vent found a safe space and drilled a hole behind the directional vanes but in front of shut off control flap to run the cable through. That way it’s not that obvious if I remove it in the future.
Same principle should work for the RH Side.

Also there is a lot of space under the dash on RH side around steering etc so should easily be able to get hands etc up in to run wires etc.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

If I remove the glove box as you’ve described, will that give me access to the switch blanks below at a/c controls or do I need to pull the console out for that?

Thanks in advance.

Experience is a harsh teacher, you only get each lesson when you've already had the test...
rogie_rogers

Postby Myralga on Fri, 06 Jul 2018 4:10 +0000

From memory
You get a little bit of access

Which then allows you to pop the entire panel out.
Pretty sure it can come out without much else being removed first

Myralga

Return to Electrical