2018 SR5 Dual Cab - Central Lock & Alarm Tailgate/ Canopy

2018 SR5 Dual Cab - Central Lock & Alarm Tailgate/ Canopy

Postby Stephen.Coff on Tue, 08 May 2018 8:31 +0000

Guys,
New here and yes have completed a search, whilst I have found threads they are typically for older Hilux's.

I have a new 2018 SR5 Dual Cab c/w OEM Canopy and wanting to add central locking for the tailgate & alarm the tailgate.

Central Locking Tailgate
I have already added the actuator in the tailgate and ran the wire back through into the cab and as most appear to have done, will look to splice into the rear door central locking. I assume nothing is different with the newer model and this should work fine.
Q. Any suggestions on how to central lock the canopy door?

Alarm Tailgate & Canopy
I was thinking i could simply cut into the rear doors sensor and run a line in series out to sensors on canopy windows, door & tailgate.
Q. Sensors look to be a single wire,not sure how they work. Will running the canopy & tailgate off a rear door sensor in series work?

Thanks for your help
Stephen
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Re: 2018 SR5 Dual Cab - Central Lock & Alarm Tailgate/ Canop

Postby Sal87 on Wed, 09 May 2018 5:46 +0000

Hey Stephen I’m also looking at doing the same. Question for you, how did you run the wires from the cab to the tub? Do you have a tub liner?
Sal87

Postby Stephen.Coff on Wed, 09 May 2018 8:23 +0000

Sal87,
Mate I did the following, apologies as I should of taken pics.

1. Removed tailgate tub liner.
2. Removed tailgate panel.
3. Folded some metal & pop riveted it to tailgate panel (on edge under tailgate panel, so hidden).
4. Secured the actuator to folded metal and lined the round head off actuator over the pointy plastic locator/ pivot point on lock arm.
5. Feed wires through same wire route from tailgate to under tub.
6. I used Navara head light 15amp insulated wire (but thick and well oversized but as gathered for longevity and min voltage drop).
7. Cable ties cable to existing harness under tub above chassis rail to cab rear wall on passenger side.
8. Removed rear seat (fold base of rear seats up, remove seat belt clips from seat elastics & unclip center belt, unbolt 5x seat bolts, lift base frame lifting back of seat from hooks & out).
9. Remove black plastic mould along floor of rear door.
10. Remove black plastic mould from rear door to rear wall.

You will see a small wire coming through rear wall at low level & passing through a rubber grommet. I simply cut a small hole in grommet and feed wire through, taped it up and clipped it in the existing mould along door seal & reinstated everything.

Hope this helps.
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Postby Sal87 on Thu, 10 May 2018 7:33 +0000

Thanks heaps Stephen
Will give it a go.
Sal87

Postby berniecam on Thu, 10 May 2018 7:15 +0000

Sal87 wrote:Hey Stephen I’m also looking at doing the same. Question for you, how did you run the wires from the cab to the tub? Do you have a tub liner?

Hi you may find it easier once you get under the tub follow the main left hand chassis rail right through,(cable tie it as you go) till you get under near the front passenger seat there is a grommet off to one side you can get through then under the carpet lift off the plastic trim that holds the carpet down cable tie it to existing cable loom, remove the front plastic kick panel terminate wires & locate the actuator trigger wire & solder it on. Cheers. :)
berniecam

Postby Stephen.Coff on Sun, 13 May 2018 4:58 +0000

I was aware of grommet in floor pan under passenger seat though for the purpose of sealing the cab I think in the rear wall between tub is a better option & as easily accessible to actuator wires plus access to door switch (if going to hassle of locking it you might as well alarm it).

So tonight very quickly I accessed pillar and door plug to try complete the tailgate actuator & note the following:
Press the clips to release the white plastic mount/ housing in pillar.
Using a volt meter, earth to pillar earth bolt & active on the bottom plain black wire produce a short burst 13-14v while pressing the un/ lock button on drivers door.
So I twisted wires and tested it, polarity is correct & locking tailgate.
So soldered on tailgate actuator wires and taped up, put all back together.

Testing I've noted:
Unlock tailgate & lock car, tailgate locks.
Unlock car, tailgate doesn't unlock.

I need more time to investigate if actuator simply needs adjustment and not pulling back enough (easy fix) or something else.

I have brought 4x micro switches. I need brackets folded then mount switches on windows & tailgate doors & run single wire in series off door switch. Then canopy & tubes covered under basic OEM car alarm. Once cars locked, if any doors or windows open, siren goes off. Cheap $50 tub/ canopy alarm off standard key.
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Postby jazzi on Mon, 24 Feb 2020 3:27 +0000

Hay mate what the centre locking system you got and what sort of price?

Thanks

Stephen.Coff wrote:Guys,
New here and yes have completed a search, whilst I have found threads they are typically for older Hilux's.

I have a new 2018 SR5 Dual Cab c/w OEM Canopy and wanting to add central locking for the tailgate & alarm the tailgate.

Central Locking Tailgate
I have already added the actuator in the tailgate and ran the wire back through into the cab and as most appear to have done, will look to splice into the rear door central locking. I assume nothing is different with the newer model and this should work fine.
Q. Any suggestions on how to central lock the canopy door?

Alarm Tailgate & Canopy
I was thinking i could simply cut into the rear doors sensor and run a line in series out to sensors on canopy windows, door & tailgate.
Q. Sensors look to be a single wire,not sure how they work. Will running the canopy & tailgate off a rear door sensor in series work?

Thanks for your help
Stephen
jazzi

Return to Electrical