2018 Hilux LED Headlight Adjustment

Postby Diceman on Tue, 08 May 2018 4:08 +0000

Hey Guy's,
I just picked up my new Hilux a couple of weeks ago, and recently took it in for it's
1000km check.
While I was at the dealership, I asked the service manager if he could get the guy's in the
workshop to adjust the right headlight up slightly, as I thought it was just a tad lower than the left.
I was informed that they had adjusted it and it should be ok now.
A couple of days later, I was driving from Melbourne to Sydney and it was the first time since the adjustment
that I was going to use the headlights.
To my amazement, they were right out of wack, and I could barely see further than 15 meters in front of me, it
was just a huge black spot light they were adjusted way to low.
I have just taken it back to the dealer today to get them readjusted, and he said they were out, and he can't work out why. They have apparently been readjusted, but I am waiting for night time to try them out.
I was wondering, are the simple to adjust? I had a look under the bonnet this arvo, and I can see a little white knob with a groove in it on the back of the light. Do you adjust them from that knob, or is that the brightness control and the up and down adjustment is somewhere else?
It would be handy to know, that way I can take it out on a back road and adjust them myself.
Any help would be appreciated... :?
Cheers...
Diceman

Re: 2018 Hilux LED Headlight Adjustment

Postby corym on Tue, 08 May 2018 4:34 +0000

the right hand side is supposed to be lower then the left to keep it off incoming traffic/give you more visibility on your lane.
corym

Postby Diceman on Tue, 08 May 2018 5:29 +0000

That makes sense, but I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be as low as it was, I could barely see 15 meters in front of me.
Very beneficial for oncoming motorists I suppose, but not so good for me driving the vehicle and trying to see where I'm going.
Diceman

Postby NebulaLux5 on Wed, 09 May 2018 2:24 +0000

I installed my own 2 inch lift recently (sometime in the last month) and at the rear left hand side behind the wheel is a little metal part with a cut out. On that cut out is a maximum height and a minimum height. The bolt in said cut out should be perfectly centre. It's located near the shock absorber and doesn't take long to adjust at all
NebulaLux5

Postby Myralga on Wed, 09 May 2018 5:24 +0000

Each headlight has its own height adjustment (don’t know exactly what and where but sounds like your on the right track with the white notched thing. From every other car I’ve ever worked on.)
As for the thing at the rear if you have a SR5 the rear of the rear LH Spring is where the sensor/potentiometer for the auto headlight adjustment is. This moves both lights up and down when you load up or take out weight of the rear of the vehicle. To keep the lights pointed to the correct spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby hayst on Thu, 10 May 2018 6:36 +0000

You are doing better than I sport, mine has a thumping great black gap between my lights.

Does anyone know where the adjustment is for lateral movement of the lights?
hayst

Postby Myralga on Thu, 10 May 2018 7:31 +0000

Remember these are projector LED headlights.
Projectors are designed with minimal spread in mind.
LEDs allow for very very distinct beam pattern.
The lights of today’s cars are changing you only have to look at cars like Audi and BMW.
https://youtu.be/xYSix5r38qY
The Tech is Mind Boggling.

We are talking about LOW beam. If your in a urban area or a vehicle is any less then 1km in front of you, the gaps are there to protect the opposite drivers night vision.
Take it from someone who spends way too much time on the road at night when some arse leaves there high beam on or winds there lows up like crazy. Your blinding another driver.
Not only that, we drive jacked up 4WD’s most of us. We are responsible to protect the drivers around us.
I don’t mean to sound like a jerk here but you have to consider all of this, are my lights shining in the back of that little hatch back?? If your answer is yes, then you only need them to shine in the back of the wrong cop car he will defect you.
If your having trouble seeing I recommend you slow down.
High beam is there for when your out of town and not a car in sight. Buy a good set of spotties to complement them and you will have a great driving experience regardless of weather it’s a Hilux, Lowlux or a Jumbuck.

Myralga

Postby Diceman on Fri, 11 May 2018 7:07 +0000

Thanks for your reply and in depth explanation Myralga.
I might not be a rocket scientist, but I'm not entirely stupid either. I do understand the difference between high and low beam, and that we shouldn't have our lights adjusted to high to prevent blinding other drivers.
I was simply stating that the lights were fine when I first received the vehicle, apart from the right hand side appearing to be slightly lower than ideal. In hindsight, I shouldn't of even mentioned it at the Toyota dealership and they would of remained the same, but I did and the vehicle came out of service with the right headlight significantly further adjusted down. Visibility on the Hume Hwy, (which is a dual lane divided hwy as you would know) was then down to around 15 meters, which made it extremely hard to see, and my eye sight is good.
So it wasn't a matter of me having to slow down, I simply had to slow down because my lights were adjusted that far down that even Steve Austin with his bionic eye wouldn't of been able to see.
The dealership has since readjusted them and admitted they were way out for some reason.
Diceman

Postby Myralga on Sat, 12 May 2018 7:26 +0000

Seems a common trait of toyota dealers lately then, coming back worse then they went in.
10k service complete can’t drive Car the next morning because the engine oil was all over the floor instead of inside the engine. They left the sump bung loose.
And they would not trust me as a mechanic at the 20k service when I asked them to order in the brake dust shield under warranty (with photos) because it was cracked and rattling like mad. and I couldn’t find any reason for it to have been.
So they kept the Car a couple extra days while they waited for the warranty parts to come in.

And by all means I’m not saying anyone’s an idiot. Apologies if it came across that way. Just these lights are very different then every lux before it. Just takes some getting used to.
I was a little cranky when I wrote my previous comment because in 10km to get Home that night I had 3 separate cars (all hatch backs or sedans) blind me from behind on the M4 on low beam. And one on high beam.

And hindsight is a wonderful thing. Light adjustment I would have left it out of their hands too because they would have done it against a wall. In daylight. Not a dark road. Checking beam pattern at a couple meters is never perfect.

Myralga

Postby Ozwaz on Sat, 12 May 2018 3:11 +0000

:D Gotta love the way you can adjust up and down with a dial on the SR.
Ozwaz

Return to Electrical