Using the 2017 Hilux AV input to Mirror iPhone

Using the 2017 Hilux AV input to Mirror iPhone

Postby fark on Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:54 +0000

Using the Hilux Radio A/V
The A/V can be used pretty easily. You can connect the kids DVD player to it, another camera, dashcam, or you can connect a smartphone mirroring device to allow complete mirroring of your phone for things like better navigation apps. This allows a passenger to have some better use of the multimedia system.

My first suggestion is to keep it simple first, test the A/V input with a DVD player, or video camera that has A/V RCA connectors to make sure you get the image and sound. The radio by default can only render a PAL or NTSC input, so your device that you connect needs to be either, but you can change from one to the other in the setup menu.

As per the Toyota Nav and Mutimedia Manual on page 61, you need a cable. The trick here is that any cable I test has the Video (Yellow) and R/H Audio (Red) flipped compared to how Toyota have it. Simply the Red connector becomes the Video and the Yellow connector becomes the R/H Audio. Cable from Jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/lead-a-v-plg- ... m/p/WV7345

From factory, you can only view the input whilst the park brake is on AND you are not moving. If any of these conditions aren’t met, then the A/V will drop out. The lockout can be tricked. You can choose whether you want to do this or not, so the standard “I am not responsible for anything” clause and “obey all road rules” applies, this is merely a suggestion and your own choice to try this suggestion.

The radio has a park brake input and a speed input. Telling the radio that the park brake is always on and that it never sees a speed will allow the A/V to be used anytime.

When using the A/V as an input for say a phone to use a navigation app, you can’t then listen to the car radio at the same time, if you want radio or music your passenger will need to launch a radio or music app from your phone.

Possible ramifications of this modification:
Speed – the automatic sound leveliser (ASL) function may not work and maybe navigation system degradation, especially when there is no GPS signal like when going through a tunnel, its possible that it wont keep plotting your position because it has lost its speed reference.
Park Brake – unsure, but it only seems linked to the A/V lockout.
(People put complete new head units in that surely don’t link back to every Toyota wire etc, so again it’s a matter of choice).

Radio Wiring Modification *Suggestion*
1 Remove radio. Watch this video https://youtu.be/6PcPsEG1Spc . I didn’t create the video, credit goes to https://www.youtube.com/user/CarbonCarSystems . It takes about 5 minutes to do it.
2 Locate and disconnect plug G37.
3 Pin 15 a Green wire needs to be cut far enough back from the connector to allow you to splice it to the White/Black (ground) wire at Pin 6. Tape the cut wire that is still in the harness, this doesn’t get used. This Green wire spliced to the ground now tells the radio that the park brake is always on :) .
4 Pin 17 a Purple wire needs to be cut, or remove the terminal from the housing. Either way tape the end(s). This is the speed input which now doesn’t reach the radio :) .
5 Plug G37 back in, put all the crap back together and test it out for yourself. If you're not happy, then put it back to standard.

It does not bypass the lockout for the inbuilt Toyota navigation, from what I understand the navigation system uses the GPS speed to determine whether you are moving or not. So you still need to be stopped to enter a navigation address which is the safe thing to do.

Image[/img]
Last edited by fark on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 7:40 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
fark

Re: Using the Hilux AV input to Mirror iPhone

Postby Myusername on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 12:15 +0000

Hi Fark.
I pick up my new sr5 around Christmas and I've just been looking into exactly this mod. Can you confirm that this info is for the current model and have you actually done it and seen it work?

There are two different av adapter standards, ctia and ompt. Most readily available adapters are omtp and the hilux is ctia. The difference is the ground and video segments are in opposite positions. You can also get a cheap ctia to ompt adapter.

I am looking connect a mirabox https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122826645723 to the aux input which will allow the phone to mirror onto the head unit. Handy for hema maps, torque etc. If you can confirm the speed sensor trick works, I'll likely wire it through a switch so as not to inadvertently affect the sat nav.

Cheers
Noel

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Myusername

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 5:39 +0000

Im keen on doing this, but I cannot get my portable dvd player to play on the headunit on my SR at all.

It comes with a single input plug on both ends which I can connect to the AUX socket in order to listen to the audio of the dvd player through the car stereo but cannot get any video image to work.

do I need a different type of plug???
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Myusername on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 6:18 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Im keen on doing this, but I cannot get my portable dvd player to play on the headunit on my SR at all.

It comes with a single input plug on both ends which I can connect to the AUX socket in order to listen to the audio of the dvd player through the car stereo but cannot get any video image to work.

From what I've read, most 3.5mm 4 segment plugs such as camcorders DVD etc are wired to the omtp standard which from memory Is left, right, audio, ground from tip. The hilux is wired for Apple which is ctia standard - left, right, ground, audio from tip. You can get an adapter such as this http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/35mm-4-pole-trrs-standards-bi-directional-adapter-ctia-to-omtp.html which should fix your problem

Myusername

Postby fark on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 7:36 +0000

Myusername wrote:Hi Fark.
I pick up my new sr5 around Christmas and I've just been looking into exactly this mod. Can you confirm that this info is for the current model and have you actually done it and seen it work?

There are two different av adapter standards, ctia and ompt. Most readily available adapters are omtp and the hilux is ctia. The difference is the ground and video segments are in opposite positions. You can also get a cheap ctia to ompt adapter.

I am looking connect a mirabox https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122826645723 to the aux input which will allow the phone to mirror onto the head unit. Handy for hema maps, torque etc. If you can confirm the speed sensor trick works, I'll likely wire it through a switch so as not to inadvertently affect the sat nav.

Cheers
Noel

Hey Noel, yes current model and yes of course I've done it and it works! Thats why i wrote it up :)
Yes cutting the speed sensor input via a sitch is good idea as it loses itself in tunnels etc, so you would leave it on normally and only open it up when you want to put the movie on for the kids or run an OBD11 app etc.
Good luck, i hope its written well enough for you to do the same.
Cheers.
fark

Postby fark on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 7:39 +0000

Myusername wrote:
Hilux Max wrote:Im keen on doing this, but I cannot get my portable dvd player to play on the headunit on my SR at all.

From what I've read, most 3.5mm 4 segment plugs such as camcorders DVD etc are wired to the omtp standard which from memory Is left, right, audio, ground from tip. The hilux is wired for Apple which is ctia standard - left, right, ground, audio from tip. You can get an adapter such as this http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/35mm-4-pole-trrs-standards-bi-directional-adapter-ctia-to-omtp.html which should fix your problem

Guys, i could not have written it any clearer in the write-up with what connector you need and even part number for Jaycar - the manual also tells yoiu what pin does what.
Cheers.
fark

Re: Using the 2017 Hilux AV input to Mirror iPhone

Postby ccall48 on Thu, 28 Dec 2017 10:15 +0000

Nice write up, was looking at buying a alpine head unit to get carplay function but wasn't keen on loosing the toyota functionality on fuel mileage etc... also for a work ute $2.5k is a bit extreme for a head unit lol.

Does this mod only work on SR5? Just curious as I added the CarbonCarSystems reverse camera to my SR a few months back (Works brilliant) and there was only 1 RCA input at the back of the head unit to attach the reverse camera to. I'm assuming I need to splice the AV cable and connect it to inputs on a plug?

Does the multimedia manual you refer to come with the vehicle? or do I need to find a copy of it somewhere?

Cheers, Cory
My17 SR
ccall48

Postby fark on Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:07 +0000

Just to clarify, this is was done on a 2017 SR5, so am not sure about other models. Cheers.
fark

Postby Bob P on Sun, 01 Apr 2018 9:04 +0000

So if the head unit is mirroring your iPhone presumably to insert an address into Google maps you’d have to do this on the phone?
Bob P

Postby Stephen.Coff on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 5:36 +0000

Ok, so appreciate this is an older post though a very relevant post still.
I saw this and opted to get the schematics from Toyota and review them, I found a few anomalies & made a couple of minor changes for the better. I also completed another mod whilst having the head unit out.

OBSERVATIONS TOM ORIGINAL POST:
1. EARTHING HAND BRAKE
Doing as such to pin 6 as noted isn't ideal.
1a. You're earthing to the mic if reading the schematics correctly.
1b. Doing so will result in the handbrake light remaining on and constant beeping, car thinks you're driving with handbrake up.

2. SPEED SENSOR
2a. I simply released pin and shrink wrapped it so can reuse at later date if desired though a switch would be best solution.
2b. Disconnected it did allow full function of the telephone via bluetooth and even access every aspect of the Nav just NOT input a new address. It must be seeing the GPS input and still blanking this function.
Last edited by Stephen.Coff on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 10:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Postby Stephen.Coff on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 6:31 +0000

PROPOSAL TO THE ORIGINAL POST - HANDBRAKE & SPEED INPUT MODS

1. PLUGS INTERESTED IN MODIFYING
1a. Handbrake, Speed & Reverse - G113 (Looking at unit from rear, it's the top row of plugs and 3rd from the left). Depending on model, the plug numbers are different and not sure why you called it plug G37 if current SR5 s/w Nav as in that case it is plug G113 Handbrake, Speed & Reverse are all G113.
1b. Accessories Power & Earth - G115 (Bottom row, 1st from the left).

2. HANDBRAKE
2a. G113, Pin 15 (Handbrake) DON'T EARTH TO G115, Pin 6 as advised.
2b. G113, Pin 15 (Handbrake) cut enough back from plug to solder a new wire to and extend. Earth to main ground G115, Pin 7 (The big thick BROWN cable).
2c. The cut green G113, Pin 15 (Handbrake) in the harness to be terminated, no longer used.

This gives you the handbrake cut from AV & tricking AV to think handbrake is up by earthing AV unit. It does leave the remaining handbrake system to operate as it should (No handbrake light or beeping permanently).

3. SPEED
3a. Terminate as noted, switch is probably best option.

4. REVERSE CAMERA - I wanted to be able to flick on my reverse camera whilst driving.
4a. G113, Pin 2 (Reverse) requires an active feed.
4b. Thing to note is the active feed will back power the reverse lights and car will beep as normally in reverse (not desired). So to resolve this:
4c. Cut G113, Pin 2 and solder a diode inline (diode should be feeding to the AV).
4d. On G113, Pin 2 solder a wire on AV side of diode.
4e. On G115, Pin 3, splice & solder a wire.
4f. Take both ends of new wires off G113, Pin 2 & G115, Pin 3 to a switch.

Now your reverse works as normal though as desired you can flick a switch and reverse camera image pops up onscreen without reverse lights or beep.
G115, Pin 3 (ACC1).
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Postby fark on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 8:47 +0000

Hi Stephen, thanks for commenting, all's I can say is that mine works 100% as per instructions - no issues.

If I could be bothered now, I would put a switch in to connect speed signal back in so that when I go through tunnels etc it GPS would keep plotting.
I also would do the reverse camera mod.
Anyway, it's good to share opinions and experiences.
fark

Postby fark on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 8:48 +0000

Bob P wrote:So if the head unit is mirroring your iPhone presumably to insert an address into Google maps you’d have to do this on the phone?

Yes.
fark

Postby Stephen.Coff on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:11 +0000

I consider putting both speedo & handbrake on switches though didn't really desire to loose the extra 2 spaces nor figured it that big of an issue. I've done about 7,000km since and cant say it's been a concern nor think id use the switch if their TBH though each to there own.
Once you know how to get the head unit out it's literally a few minute exercise. The reverse switch is a very cheap & simple exercise, just do it!
1m of figure 8.
1x Switch.
1x Diode.

Solder to an active off head unit.
Solder opposite end to each pin on switch.
Cut reverse to head unit & solder a diode inline, preventing power back to dash & reverse lights.
Solder lst tail of figure 8 to head unit reverse on head unit side of diode.

Its literally a 20min exercise & super handy.
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Return to Electrical