Low Beam too short a throw distance

Postby ritrka on Sat, 03 Jun 2017 6:15 +0000

Has anyone thought the low beam lights throw out area is too short? I've found the high beams are fine, however when you dip to low it's like your driving into a black wall. They cut off with a very definitive line which is not far enough out and there's zero fade out

I gather I can adjust the height, however high beam is not a problem and I assume by adjusting the low, I also adjust the high (which I don't want to do)

I drive long distances, and often through the night in heavy wildlife areas

Is there a possible fix?
ritrka

Re: Low Beam too short a throw distance

Postby srlux07 on Sat, 03 Jun 2017 1:28 +0000

Led headlights will help or a bulb upgrade, maybe your covers are cloudy, I've got Leds and am quite happy.
srlux07

Postby Burb122 on Sat, 03 Jun 2017 6:22 +0000

It's the projector lens. Don't know how it ever took off. So much worse for Driving hilly bendy county roads when there's a few cars around and your switching hi - Lo all the time.
Burb122

Postby ritrka on Sat, 03 Jun 2017 8:14 +0000

srlux07 wrote:Led headlights will help or a bulb upgrade, maybe your covers are cloudy, I've got Leds and am quite happy.

The car is pretty much new, and it's been this way since brand new. I don't know that higher output will help as it's perfectly bright.......and then blackness

Cheers
ritrka

Postby rory18 on Sat, 03 Jun 2017 8:36 +0000

If it's the new hilux make sure you haven't adjusted the lights all the way down on the dash on the righthand side.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby adamkberger on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 4:03 +0000

If it's an SR5, there is no adjustment, unless you modify the sensor on the left rear leaf spring. The low beams are separate to the high beams. If you have an SR5, might I suggest you upgrade the lamps in the fog lights from the ornamental 19w lamps to something higher? This might give you the spread you're after.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 04 Jun 2017 7:50 +0000

Illegal in most states to drive with foglights in normal conditions no matter what the wattage! The name FOGLIGHTS says it all. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Kris NT on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 6:57 +0000

ritrka wrote:Has anyone thought the low beam lights throw out area is too short? I've found the high beams are fine, however when you dip to low it's like your driving into a black wall. They cut off with a very definitive line which is not far enough out and there's zero fade out

I gather I can adjust the height, however high beam is not a problem and I assume by adjusting the low, I also adjust the high (which I don't want to do)

I drive long distances, and often through the night in heavy wildlife areas

Is there a possible fix?

I have the same issue it's all bright right at the front of the car but then the lights have a defined line and then it's driving into the unknown.
I live rural NT and it shits me that I have to use my high beams 90% of the time at night. , I lifted the front of my SR5 50mm the installers didn't readjust my headlights.
I have had a play around with the 8mm nut on the back of the headlight (low beam) to high to low I had people flash me when on low beam , it's at a reasonable adjustment now but I'm still not happy and any higher it will be back to getting flashed by on coming traffic.
I a keen to follow this to see others answers.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Postby ritrka on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 7:37 +0000

Hi Kris, coincidentally I've just returned from a 5k round trip to SA. When in Pt Lincoln I went to the dealer to talk about it. They adjusted the headlights without charge and it's better, but still not great. I'll go out onto a quiet stretch of road and do further adjustments. They showed me where, but one of them looks a pain to get at. Mine has the factory BB and winch, and the Pt Lincoln dealers said they should have been adjusted when they did the install from new. I run 150w (Europe Osram globes) in my old Lightforce 240's. Awesome high beam, but dipping down for oncoming cars, or worse when coming up behind trucks, was like turning them off and playing Russian roulette with the wildlife. Not a great feeling
ritrka

Postby paultheviking on Fri, 16 Jun 2017 9:41 +0000

Mine the same. SR5. Flashed at on low beam so I adjusted down 5mm on headlight aligner. Not getting flashed anymore but can't see wildlife enough to avoid.
paultheviking

Postby creaky on Sat, 17 Jun 2017 7:52 +0000

Guys, I'm having trouble locating the adjuster nut that you are referring to at the rear of the headlight assembly. Can anyone describe it's location and/or take a piccie.

Also, does the one adjuster nut align the high and low beams, or separate adjustments ?

Thanks
creaky

Postby Kris NT on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 9:10 +0000

creaky wrote:Guys, I'm having trouble locating the adjuster nut that you are referring to at the rear of the headlight assembly. Can anyone describe it's location and/or take a piccie.

Also, does the one adjuster nut align the high and low beams, or separate adjustments ?

Thanks

Pop the bonnet and look straight down behind the headlight and towards the headlight you will see a white cover (from memory) on the back of the low beam. In the middle of that there is a white 8mm plastic hex head that is the adjuster.
I will get a pic tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kris NT

Postby creaky on Fri, 23 Jun 2017 5:47 +0000

Kris NT wrote:
creaky wrote:Guys, I'm having trouble locating the adjuster nut that you are referring to at the rear of the headlight assembly. Can anyone describe it's location and/or take a piccie.

Thanks

Pop the bonnet and look straight down behind the headlight and towards the headlight you will see a white cover (from memory) on the back of the low beam. In the middle of that there is a white 8mm plastic hex head that is the adjuster.
I will get a pic tomorrow

Thanks, no piccie required. I know the white plastic 'nut' you are talking about, seems to be in the back of the auto levelling mechanism, but never imagined the adjustment would be a poxy plastic nut !
creaky

Postby Kris NT on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:51 +0000

ritrka wrote:Hi Kris, coincidentally I've just returned from a 5k round trip to SA. When in Pt Lincoln I went to the dealer to talk about it. They adjusted the headlights without charge and it's better, but still not great. I'll go out onto a quiet stretch of road and do further adjustments. They showed me where, but one of them looks a pain to get at. Mine has the factory BB and winch, and the Pt Lincoln dealers said they should have been adjusted when they did the install from new. I run 150w (Europe Osram globes) in my old Lightforce 240's. Awesome high beam, but dipping down for oncoming cars, or worse when coming up behind trucks, was like turning them off and playing Russian roulette with the wildlife. Not a great feeling

Have you got any more information on what they showed you for adjustment ?
Could you throw up a pic and identify the area for the adjustment ?

Cheers

Kris NT

Postby jabiru18 on Sun, 30 Sep 2018 1:36 +0000

I have the exact same issue, when on Low Beam out I just cant see far enough. When there's lots of Roos, cattle and Sheep on the verges it makes it like a game or Russian Roulette.

I raised the lights today bit I dont know if that will fix it. Will test tonight, make sure Im not blinding anyone.

I tried Led, no difference. Currently running Narva Platinum.
jabiru18

Return to Electrical