front diff unlock

front diff unlock

Postby septhilux on Tue, 16 May 2017 10:11 +0000

Hi, has anyone worked out how to interrupt the locking of the front diff so as to use low range without being in 4wd, in the Gen 8 Hilux??
I tow heavy trailers and it would be a good feature to help backing up hill driveways. I had it on my previous model Hilux thanks to information from this forum, however i can't find any tips on the current model Hilux.
septhilux

Re: front diff unlock

Postby creaky on Wed, 17 May 2017 5:02 +0000

creaky

Postby numberplate on Wed, 17 May 2017 6:20 +0000

i havent looked at it closely as yet , but does anyone know if the system defaults to 2WD or 4WD if there is a power or vacuum failure to the front diff?
because what you would need to do is interrupt the vacuum supply ( so the front diff dog clutch does NOT engage ) , then wire the actuator switches in a way that fools the ECU into thinking the diff clutch IS engaged .
numberplate

Postby nicebike on Thu, 18 May 2017 6:16 +0000

septhilux wrote:Hi, has anyone worked out how to interrupt the locking of the front diff so as to use low range without being in 4wd, in the Gen 8 Hilux??
I tow heavy trailers and it would be a good feature to help backing up hill driveways. I had it on my previous model Hilux thanks to information from this forum, however i can't find any tips on the current model Hilux.

Have you had a poke around behind the glovebox ? If you are lucky, you might find that not much has changed from the previous model. It's easier for a manufacturer to change as little as is necessary.

Won't hurt to look. If you find that it looks promising, a trial disconnect of the relevant wire will soon show you if you are on the right track.
nicebike

Return to Electrical