Mk8 strange problem

Mk8 strange problem

Postby leeroy1 on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 6:40 +0000

I have a two month old Mk8 Hilux , for the first time today I used my tom-tom sat nav ( yes I wish I had it built in from new) Once it fired up I lost signal on the radio DAB wiped every pre set station off saying no signal and no reception at all on any other pre set am fm etc.
My truck doing short trips reads 25-27 mpg but with sat nav on it went up to 39.8 mpg its never been this hi.and the speedo is reading faster than truck going.
I unplugged tom tom and all presets came back but speedo still out, I know as following my wife ,truck said 80 mph wife doing dead 70mph.
Whats going on?
Has anyone else had this please.
leeroy1

Re: Mk8 strange problem

Postby leeroy1 on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 5:44 +0000

Just Got the truck back from Toyota .
They said they put TomTom in to another brand new truck and it did the same thing it does in mine, they said the only thing they can think of is that the sat nav must be very close to the same frequency as the fitted radio and thats what is killing the radio.
I have sent a mail to TomTom asking if this could be the case and is there any fix.
leeroy1

Postby creaky on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 9:34 +0000

What about the fuel economy and speedo issues ?
creaky

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 2:04 +0000

Just had a quick look and australian dab freqs are between 200Mhz and 220Mhz ( approx)
Gps runs on 1575.42Mhz and 1227.66Mhz
The only thing that comes close is the 6th level harmonic freq (211Mhz 6th harmonic is 1.266Ghz)
Which means your dab could theoratically interfere with your gps bit unlikely the other way around.
Canbus runs at 16Mhz from what i can find on google so should be no issues there
Also all this gear should be filtered electronically for harmonics and interference before being amplified into a usable signal so i cant see how it could possibly interfere.
However i have seen some weird shit when it comes to high frequency radio signals ( once had a wired computer mouse block out a whole frequency band once when testing HF radios)
fracturedranga

Postby leeroy1 on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 4:24 +0000

Hi all
I have my truck back , service said he would call me the next day to see how it was and that I am happy with everything and give me a cost price to fit sat nav to fix the problem I was having.
Toyota service called me back but just to see if I wanted the fitted sat nav put it price was nearly £900, he was trying to get of the phone as quickly as he could once I said its too much money. They think its the end of the sat nav issue but the info above confirms what TomTom said ,he said, its Very Very, un- likely that it would be anything to do with the sat nav.

I told him about the speed issue and its not much better at all if any.
He assured me its spot on he tested it myself.
I said the sign recognition system turns red much later than it used to, ie, pickup reads 30mph on the clock on the sign the white background should go red at 31 but stays white up to 35mph, and at 40mph it changes red at 46mph so the faster it goes the bigger the gap.

The problem is I don't know if the speedo is right or the sign recognition. This could get me points on my licence as it is I could get done for speeding when I think I'm ok.
His last words were well if you really want to, you could pop it back some time when your passing if you wanted too not sorry we will get it back in sir.

Another gripe I have is the brochure I was given with all the specs in it said it was fitter with auto wipers and it is not, when I asked about this I was told there is nothing we can do about that contact customer services, so I have done just that and while I was at it I have told them everything that I have had to take it back for.

Customer services have mailed me back with a nice letter saying how sorry they are with the catalog of errors and that I should not have had these problems and that they are contacting the dealer I had it from and see what they have to say , so just waiting now to see where it goes from here.

I know it probably makes me sound a right winger but I'm not but I paid a lot of money for this truck and don't expect bits to be dropping off, things its had not quite right from day one I just want it to do what its supposed to.

Picked up truck day one .
Incorrect tow bar fitted ordered ball and pin turned up ball only it took 1.5 months to change
Screws dropping out of the dash leaving dash louse 2 weeks
Chrome strip on bonnet peeling off both ends 6mm gap 2 months
Sat nav /radio issue on going
Auto wipers not fitted when I was told they were
The speed issues on going
Speed is the worst thing at the moment none of this is the end of the world stuff but its only now 3months old now.

Several times now the lane recognition system has flashed up ready to do an emergency stop when I was driving along two way traffic on a straight road in my own lane so have it turned right down and seams better now . Yesterday it started beeping no warning lights haven't got a clue what that is as it stopped after 4 times.
Will let you know what they come back with not expecting much
leeroy1

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 5:29 +0000

And all this is exactly why I never run out and buy a brand new model! Give them a couple of years to get the bugs out of it! Not to mention all the technology in these new cars is simply ridiculous, just more things to go wrong in my opinion! Seriously if you can't drive a vehicle without all the sensors and other crap then ya shouldn't have a license! I hope they sort it out for ya mate! Don't take any crap from them, like you said you paid a stack of money for it!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Return to Electrical