Fitting light bars

Fitting light bars

Postby Kris NT on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 7:58 +0000

Hi all

I have a dual cab SR5 2016 ,no bullbar ..Where have people fitted their lights bars ?
Any pics ??
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Re: Fitting light bars

Postby creaky on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 8:03 +0000

You could go one of the windscreen mount 42-50in bars or maybe a single row shorter bar on a mount through the front grill area. Other option would be to get a nudge bar.
creaky

Postby Kris NT on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 8:16 +0000

I have thought about cutting a section out of the front bumper lower mesh area and trying to mount one there.

I have 3inch mounts for the roll bar , not sure how much light I will loose due to it reflecting off the roof.
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Postby leeroy1 on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 5:27 +0000

I just put a 20" single row in the lower grill , took a bit of doing but it looks good just got to get it plugged in next.
I had to make my own brackets but it can be done.
leeroy1

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 5:41 +0000

Kris NT wrote:Hi all

I have a dual cab SR5 2016 ,no bullbar ..Where have people fitted their lights bars ?
Any pics ??

Put it any where but on top of your Bull Bar .

A. Looks Stupid
B. Blocks your intercooler
ktm300

Postby The.Durry on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 2:16 +0000

ktm300 wrote:
Kris NT wrote:B. Blocks your intercooler

Probably not an issue on a Gen 8 with a front mount and no bonnet scoop.
The.Durry

Postby leeroy1 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 4:10 +0000

I have a 20" led light bar I mounted in the lower grill, I have got to get it wired up soon. I have been told today to be very careful how it gets wired up , he is a fitter at work and he was saying that someone he knew wired lights up on a 2016 Hilux and he fried the ecu.
There's nothing different I need to know on a new lux is there?
I wont be doing it as know nothing about electrics.
leeroy1

Postby scottellis88 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 4:16 +0000

Its not too hard, just run the signal (or the feed) you want to initiate the lights coming on straight to the coil on a relay, take an unswitched 12v straight from your battery through a fuse then through a normally open contact on your relay. It will keep the lights separate from any other circuit and have its own protection.
scottellis88

Postby leeroy1 on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 5:08 +0000

Thats great thank you for that cheers.
leeroy1

Postby SpinnerDan on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 2:25 +0000

You can get aftermarket plug-and-play wiring looms for light bars that make fitting dead simple. I got mine from 4WD Supacentre for about $20 and it was an absolute breeze to fit up. The hardest thing was feeding the wiring thru the firewall. I saw a plug-and-play wiring loom at Super Cheap too but they were way more expensive (around $80 if I remember correctly). I'm no sparky but it was an easy fit and satisfying to do it yourself.... Have a crack!
SpinnerDan

Postby scottellis88 on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 5:09 +0000

The only downside i see to the looms they provide are the sheer length of the cables they come with, id rather not have 3m of cable coiled up somewhere in my car as it becomes untidy and a pain whenever you want to do anything. Thats why i prefer to wire myself
scottellis88

Postby SpinnerDan on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 5:45 +0000

scottellis88 wrote:The only downside i see to the looms they provide are the sheer length of the cables they come with, id rather not have 3m of cable coiled up somewhere in my car as it becomes untidy and a pain whenever you want to do anything. Thats why i prefer to wire myself

Yeah... fair point. I'm all about neatness myself. I cut and rejoined my cables to remove the excess. Soldered and heat shrunk over the joins and good to go. Also made it easier to thread the wires thru the grommet in the firewall without any connectors on. At worse, it's the cheapest way to buy the wire cabling, resistor and connectors if you're not a sparky.
SpinnerDan

Postby chevaps on Sat, 06 May 2017 2:14 +0000

What size light bars have people fitted on the genuine premium bullbar?
I was thinking of installing one between the uprights across the top tube, but don't have my car at the moment to measure this distance (car is currently in transit to my new work location).
I am secretly hoping i can fit a 36" light bar there.
chevaps

Postby adamkberger on Sun, 07 May 2017 2:30 +0000

chevaps wrote:What size light bars have people fitted on the genuine premium bullbar?
I was thinking of installing one between the uprights across the top tube, but don't have my car at the moment to measure this distance (car is currently in transit to my new work location).

I have a Lightforce 20" double row on mine. I have it mounted where the mesh would be which means no winch. Picture in this tread:
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=28810
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby greid on Mon, 08 May 2017 8:19 +0000

I can understand people who have a heap going on going on under their bonnet (dual batteries, multiple lights, Aux. Cigarette lighters etc.) And theres a mass of wiring getting an Auto-Elec to do their wiring, but for just a set of spotties as SpinnerDan said, the plug and play wiring harnesses' honestly make it SO easy, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of doing it without, but they're honestly that easy to install! I paid $80 for one off Stedi and it only took a couple of days to get to me in rural NSW, but as previously mentioned, plenty of cheaper one's available if you want to shop around!
greid

Postby MrTimms on Wed, 10 May 2017 8:34 +0000

chevaps wrote:What size light bars have people fitted on the genuine premium bullbar?

I have a 26" fitted in front of the grill using the holes for spot lights on my genuine alloy bar. There's probably not much more room but the steel bar has narrower post so it could fit a bit more in.
MrTimms

Postby squireocallaghan on Tue, 27 Jun 2017 5:37 +0000

Anyone have pics???
squireocallaghan

Postby chevaps on Tue, 27 Jun 2017 7:47 +0000

Successfully fitted a 30" light bar between the posts on a genuine premium bullbar.
Took severals days trialling positions before committing to drillings holes in the bullbar, but in the end i'm extremely happy with how it sits.

The installation process is literally shoehorning the light bar into it's final position, which is a good thing as it will make it a huge pain in the ass for a would be thief :D

The light is currently off so i can corrosion proof and paint over the exposed steel on the holes drilled, but will post a pic when the light is back on.

Cheers

Tom
chevaps

Postby aedeau on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 6:49 +0000

chevaps wrote:Successfully fitted a 30" light bar between the posts on a genuine premium bullbar.
Took severals days trialling positions before committing to drillings holes in the bullbar, but in the end i'm extremely happy with how it sits.

The installation process is literally shoehorning the light bar into it's final position, which is a good thing as it will make it a huge pain in the ass for a would be thief :D

The light is currently off so i can corrosion proof and paint over the exposed steel on the holes drilled, but will post a pic when the light is back on.

Cheers

Tom

How did you fit the button on the dash? I've got a plastic try tool kit and can't get the blank plates off. I'm thinking I need to remove the dash as per a head unit upgrade to get to the back of the plates to release them.
aedeau

Postby chevaps on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 7:44 +0000

aedeau wrote:
chevaps wrote:Successfully fitted a 30" light bar between the posts on a genuine premium bullbar.

Cheers

Tom

How did you fit the button on the dash? I've got a plastic try tool kit and can't get the blank plates off. I'm thinking I need to remove the dash as per a head unit upgrade to get to the back of the plates to release them.

I purchased the Toyota driving light wiring harness. For ~$60 i couldn't say no. I used the switch that came in harness pack which is installed on the steering rack plastic housing on the passenger side. At first i had my doubts about how it would look, but it definitely doesn't look like an after thought, and is actually quite practical from an operation perspective.

However, in answer to your question, you can pull out the climate control panel and this should give you rear access to the blank plates. When pulling it off, i found starting from the driver's side was easier.

Cheers.

Tom.
chevaps

Return to Electrical