can we disable the Smart Alternator function?

can we disable the Smart Alternator function?

Postby numberplate on Sat, 03 Dec 2016 5:08 +0000

does anybody know if it is possible to disable the Smart Charge / Temperature compensation output for the alternator? I'm no auto sparky but i know it can be done for the Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50 engines.

Ive been monitoring my battery voltage for the last few weeks and it has been held steady at around 13.4v. surely the factory battery wont like getting a reduced charge for all this time and may fail early ?

disableing this function may also mean we can have the second battery running off a conventional isolator rather than the DCDC devices.

I havent asked my local Toyota dealer yet , they cant ( or wont ) even answer simple technical questions
numberplate

Re: can we disable the Smart Alternator function?

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 03 Dec 2016 7:13 +0000

On the previous model it was a matter of replacing the reg/rec. Great big conspiracy with the battery manufacturers I reckon, under charge them so they don't last as long so you buy more of them over the life of the vehicle. Same with all the bs of making lights etc come on when you lock and unlock cars now days, the poor old battery is always on the back foot. Pretty sure on the ranger etc they tell the computer that the particular ite has extra accessories like heated seats and this makes it bump up the power.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Return to Electrical