Fitting aftermarket fog lights

Fitting aftermarket fog lights

Postby stv091 on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:14 +0000

Hi guys,

I have an SR model 4x4 which disapointingly still doesn't come with fog lights fitted from factory. So I purchased a fog light kit. I pulled the front bumper off and fitted the new lights and to my surprise the factory wiring harness was already there and plugged straight into the aftermarket lights.

Its fairly hard to trace the wiring but surely I could somehow switch the lights using the factory harness? Anyone know where I could find the switch wires under the dash to hook the switch to? Could anyone tell me where the actual switch is on an SR5 model? Will the factory harness be connected at a fuse box and already have relay etc or will I need to fix all that up?

I could just use the aftermarket wiring harness but seems a shame to run all aftermarket wires if its not needed.

Thanks!
stv091

Re: Fitting aftermarket fog lights

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:59 +0000

The sr5 fog light switch is on the light/indicator stalk so there would be a wire at the end of the stalk somewhere. I would expect the fuse and wiring is there, just not the switch. not sure if there is a relay tho. the fogs only come on if the lights are on (even the park lights bring them on if switched on the stalk)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby stv091 on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 12:29 +0000

Oh yer perfect, I will have a look. I know it was similar on the gen 7 models. Thanks
stv091

Postby 2tr-fe on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 8:25 +0000

I got foglamps installed by dealer, I was told the factory wiring loom already had the wires there and all they had to do was change the stalk....
....I ended up with a switch
I gather that it turned into a clusterf**k so they gave that idea up they've thrown a relay under the bonnet and some additional wiring they've ran in.
However I don't know if that's any real indication if you know what I am saying.

If you have any luck let me know as I would love to remove what they've done and get the factory loom to work as well as illuminating the fog lamp indicator light on the instrument cluster too.
Later down the track I may have to get a hold of a diagram to work out how to get them going.
2tr-fe

Postby FULLSCALE on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:08 +0000

You only need to add the relay to the fuse box left side of the steering coluom and the light switch. Hilux's and all Toyota have been this way for a while. Narva relay 68026BL fits. Gen switch retails for $233.00
FULLSCALE

Postby Brandoncrawford31 on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 11:43 +0000

Is this for current model hilux
Brandoncrawford31

Postby numberplate on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 4:19 +0000

Brandoncrawford31 wrote:Is this for current model hilux

i dont think so. mine had wiring going to the fog lights themselves but the wires did not appear at the fusebox , at the foglight relay ( no pins in the socket ) , no wire to the cluster ( no pins ) or at the stalk. so i ran a new harness in , was faster and easier.
numberplate

Postby Hawktec on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 6:57 +0000

Has anyone had any luck? I just installed a bull bar and hooked the lights into the factory harness... I don't really care about the stalk, im happy using my Fog light switch from Stedi. I just spent a good hour or so with my meter tracing the wires out. So far i found the wires make it all the way back to the ECU. The Fog light fuse on the left hand side of the car under the glove box has a 10A fuse in it and wiring going into it and going out. from there im not too sure... But i thought to myself that it doesnt seem right... why would the fog lights wire directly into the ECU? surely the ECU would activate the relay to power the Fog's... Im not sure. My Hilux is the 2017 model.
2017 Toyota Hilux SR Extra cab
Hawktec

Postby adamkberger on Tue, 26 Dec 2017 4:12 +0000

I've just studied the wiring diagrams for the fog lights. Basically there is a relay controlling the fog lights which is located behind the steering wheel. This relay is controlled by the Body ECU and is also interlocked by the Tail relay. Power for the fog lights is provided by the 10A Fog Light fuse via the contact on the fog light relay. Once the tail lights are on, the Tail relay provides +12V to one side of the fog light relay coil and the Body ECU provides the ground. The switch on the stalk provides a ground to the Body ECU on what looks to be pin 10 of connector B (grey wire). In theory, you should be able to just install the factory stalk and you're good to go. Alternatively, you could just ground the Body ECU input with a separate switch or provide a ground directly to the fog light relay.

Adam.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby Hawktec on Tue, 26 Dec 2017 10:24 +0000

adamkberger wrote:I've just studied the wiring diagrams for the fog lights. Basically there is a relay controlling the fog lights which is located behind the steering wheel. This relay is controlled by the Body ECU and is also interlocked by the Tail relay. Power for the fog lights is provided by the 10A Fog Light fuse via the contact on the fog light relay. Once the tail lights are on, the Tail relay provides +12V to one side of the fog light relay coil and the Body ECU provides the ground. The switch on the stalk provides a ground to the Body ECU on what looks to be pin 10 of connector B (grey wire). In theory, you should be able to just install the factory stalk and you're good to go. Alternatively, you could just ground the Body ECU input with a separate switch or provide a ground directly to the fog light relay.

Adam.
Adam, do you know how to access the relays? Will i need to remove the steering wheel? Or can i take the shrouds off underneath?
2017 Toyota Hilux SR Extra cab
Hawktec

Postby numberplate on Tue, 26 Dec 2017 3:42 +0000

you need to remove the whole radio , the relay panel is to the right of where the radio sits.

as i said earlier mine did not have any wiring connectors in the spot where the relay goes . and none to the instrument panel connectors either.
numberplate

Postby smokey83 on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 11:01 +0000

Guys - i've found your thread while I've been trying to fit aftermarket fogs in a Mk7 2015.

I've located the Green/Black wire near the steering wheel, and connected it to the grey wire linking to a fusebox behind the radio. I thought this might power the fog light loop.

This oddly, doesn't power the front fog lights, but does light up a new green light in the instrument cluster.

I know i'm super close to powering these fogs with the OEM wiring and the OEM switch on the stalk - i just can't seem to get it right - any help is much much appreciated!!
smokey83

Postby carlislebuffalo on Sat, 02 Jul 2022 5:14 +0000

Hi All, great to come along this thread while installing aftermarket fogs in my 2010 SR.
I can report some luck. The wiring harness was already there so no worries plugging the fogs in. I can prove the indicator stalk theory too with an aftermarket stalk with the fog light switch. (listed below). Changed it over and it all works. No need for getting under the dash and doing the wiring. It was all SR to SR5 plug and play. Hope everyone else has eventually got their fogs working. :D

Toyota Hilux Fog Light Indicator Stalk for 2005-2015 GGN KUN 150 (SR5) & Workmate. https://partsfactoryaus.com.au/product/ ... _cQAvD_BwE
carlislebuffalo

Return to Electrical