SR5 Headlight upgrade for SR Hilux

SR5 Headlight upgrade for SR Hilux

Postby Demo993 on Mon, 16 May 2016 3:07 +0000

Hi guys.

Love the LED headlights that are on the SR5. unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy the SR5 so bought the SR instead.

I have found these lights on ebay.

<http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-LH-RH-LED-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-PROJECTOR-FOR-TOYOTA-HILUX-REVO-M70-M80-
2016-/182096448081?>

Has anybody done this conversion before? if yes, some tips will be great.

Cheers
Demo993

Re: SR5 Headlight upgrade for SR Hilux

Postby 2tr-fe on Sat, 21 May 2016 12:51 +0000

Hi Mate,
I have not done this but as soon as mine arrives off the slow boat i intend to give it a crack.
The easiest option is to go for the plug and play aftermarket ones out of the US which are cheaper and electrically should work fine but thats my plan B.
see: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headlights-f ... SwQYZWzTKH
They are not genuine like the other ones like in yours, thats why i'm going to try to get the genuine ones working mainly for insurance/warranty etc.
As far as i can tell getting the high beam and the indicator to work will be easy but have no idea how to get the LED and the projector to work, along with the motor leveling function.
It's my understanding that the SR and workmate still have a motor leveling function that i'm hoping will be the same plug as whats found on the back of the SR5 headlamp assy.
I'll probably have to buy access to the toyota manual or wait until someone i know buys an SR5 so i can put the meter on the plug.
I will hopefully be able to make an adapter lead so I don't have to tap or cut into the factory wiring loom.

But cant do anything until i've got a car lol!!
2tr-fe

Postby hylux on Sat, 21 May 2016 2:34 +0000

Hope the U.S. ones come in right hand drive
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Demo993 on Mon, 23 May 2016 1:38 +0000

2tr-fe wrote:Hi Mate,
I have not done this but as soon as mine arrives off the slow boat i intend to give it a crack.
The easiest option is to go for the plug and play aftermarket ones out of the US which are cheaper and electrically should work fine but thats my plan B.
see: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headlights-f ... SwQYZWzTKH
They are not genuine like the other ones like in yours, thats why i'm going to try to get the genuine ones working mainly for insurance/warranty etc.
As far as i can tell getting the high beam and the indicator to work will be easy but have no idea how to get the LED and the projector to work, along with the motor leveling function.
It's my understanding that the SR and workmate still have a motor leveling function that i'm hoping will be the same plug as whats found on the back of the SR5 headlamp assy.
I'll probably have to buy access to the toyota manual or wait until someone i know buys an SR5 so i can put the meter on the plug.
I will hopefully be able to make an adapter lead so I don't have to tap or cut into the factory wiring loom.

Cheers mate. let me know how it all goes.

But cant do anything until i've got a car lol!!
Demo993

Postby 2tr-fe on Tue, 24 May 2016 7:50 +0000

Turns out someone has done it for us: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PAIR-HARNESS ... SwJkJWk4MJ
no mention of the motor leveling function so fingers crossed the plug is the same and the manual leveling control works on the sr5 light that is normally automatically controlled.
2tr-fe

Postby Demo993 on Fri, 27 May 2016 9:44 +0000

Awesome!! are you going to get them?

Have you picked up the new car yet?
Demo993

Postby 2tr-fe on Sat, 28 May 2016 1:01 +0000

yeah i reckon, been emailing a ebay seller who is supposedly selling me the adapter lead, headlamps and a sr5 grille and chrome bonnet molding will see how we go.
Nah i dropped the tray round to get painted yesterday so could be another week or two
2tr-fe

Postby Demo993 on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 2:32 +0000

Hey mate,

How did you end going with those headlights?
Demo993

Postby 2tr-fe on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 8:26 +0000

I have a supposedly genuine toyota grille and bonnet garnish coming which was due to arrive last friday, when they actually rock up i will get to see if they are legit and if they are I will order the lights off the same seller.
I figured better to burn 400-500 bucks rather than 1500 if they turn out to be knock offs.
The seller that has sold me the grille and garnish has the LED projectors and they are pictured without the bulbs fitted, and another seller advised bulbs are not fitted however the seller with the adapter lead has them for sale too for slightly less and are pictured with bulbs installed so dunno what the go is there.
I reckon the motor leveling function should be fine as the assy pictured fitted to the LED projector lamps look identical to the assy fitted to the halogen lamps in my car, same socket etc.
I was also advised that there are LHD and RHD versions of these and we must purchase RHD ones not sure how true this is. I have a quote from the dealer which has the part numbers will check if the ones on ebay are the same.
I have a quote from the dealer with the correct part numbers for the headlamps and will check them with the ebay ones.

Maybe if i'm lucky the grille will turn up tomorrow lol
2tr-fe

Postby Demo993 on Tue, 05 Jul 2016 10:30 +0000

Sounds like you have been busy!!

Cant wait to see the outcome. Any chance you could forward me the ebay sellers details? or just a link on ebay?
Demo993

Postby 2tr-fe on Tue, 05 Jul 2016 4:53 +0000

All i have to do is make it look like i've been busy and jobs done lol

The projectors i'll probably buy are http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-DAYTIME- ... SwoydWtXrY

If you have a look at the pics the bulbs are installed and see the white thing with the metal cap and control socket, thats the motor leveling assy.

the adapter lead: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PAIR-HARNESS ... SwJkJWk4MJ
same seller

Just checked what the seller has that sold me the grille and garnish (which still hasn't rocked up yet either), their projectors have a different part number to those that are in the above link. The part numbers the dealer provided are:
Headlamp Assy, LH 81150-0K720
Headlamp Assy, RH 81110-0K720

Considering the part numbers are the same and just checked the wiring and compared to pics of adapter lead i think i might as well just buy the things and hope for the best, and stop buggering round. I was going to buy alloys but they'll just have to wait haha.
2tr-fe

Postby Demo993 on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:09 +0000

your a life saver.

I might just bight the bullet and buy them also!

Let us know how you go.
Demo993

Postby 2tr-fe on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 4:25 +0000

The grille and garnish rocked up, there is a little light damage to the grille from freight but nothing major.
They do look legit so cant complain. I ordered the lights and leads last night and old mate advised the adapters wont be ready to next week so i suppose they're 4 weeks away going by how long it took the other parcel to turn up.
2tr-fe

Postby 2tr-fe on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 5:02 +0000

Demo993 wrote:Let us know how you go.

The LH headlamp rocked up today, the RH and the adapters are another week or two away i'm guessing. Anyway you gotta love it one of the mounting tabs is broken so more delays now for these lamps. They did come installed with globes and seem legit genuine Toyota btw.
Anyway will be fun dealing with ebay returns and the rest will see how we go.
2tr-fe

Postby corym on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 6:41 +0000

Do the lights appear to have manual adjustment?

Cory.
corym

Postby 2tr-fe on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 7:30 +0000

corym wrote:Do the lights appear to have manual adjustment?

Cory.

I believe the socket on the back of the SR5 assy for the motor leveling function is the same as whats found on the back of the multi-reflector halogen (workmate/SR) assy. The only difference is that i would assume that the SR5 chassis has an ECU that makes the adjustment automatically and in the workmate/SR chassis the little control switch on that panel where the operator makes the adjustment manually.

When the other box with the adapter leads turn up I'll plug them in and make sure they work before tearing my car apart and will post pics.
2tr-fe

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 8:32 +0000

Dont know if you guys have noticed but the utes with the headlight leveling thing have a sensor on the passenger rear leaf spring shackle. I've done suspension kits on both sr and sr5 now and the sr does not have this sensor. When you lift an sr5 you have to add a spacer kit on the sensor arm which repositions the arm for the new spring hight.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby corym on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 9:30 +0000

2tr-fe wrote:I believe the socket on the back of the SR5 assy for the motor leveling function is the same as whats found on the back of the multi-reflector halogen (workmate/SR) assy. The only difference is that i would assume that the SR5 chassis has an ECU that makes the adjustment automatically and in the workmate/SR chassis the little control switch on that panel where the operator makes the adjustment manually.

When the other box with the adapter leads turn up I'll plug them in and make sure they work before tearing my car apart and will post pics.

Sounds good mate, thanks for that. Look forward to the photos.

Cory.
corym

Postby 2tr-fe on Sun, 31 Jul 2016 8:13 +0000

Installed these yesterday, the good: Yes they fit, yes they work, yes the manually controlled headlight leveler controls the projector headlamps.
The bad: the bottom mount on the lamp assy does not suit my body, the halogen lamps have 2 mounting points next to each other so they fit either body, you could make a small adapter bracket to make it work properly which is what i should have done but didn't bother. The other bad is when you have your lights on auto and its daytime there are no daytime running lights, you can turn them on by turning the stalk to the first notch which turns the LED's on only, and the final notch having both the led lights going and the projector. At night time in auto mode both the LED's and the projector go. High beam works as per normal.

You need to partially remove the inner guards and pull the bumper and grille out to change the lamps.

Edit, i dunno what i did worng yesterday but in auto mode the daytime running lights are on in daylight, I must not have had the engine running.
2tr-fe

Postby adamkberger on Mon, 01 Aug 2016 2:32 +0000

DRL only come on once you start moving.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Next

Return to Electrical