Dash Lights 2016 SR5 Tap out point

Postby berniecam on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 5:23 +0000

HI there has been some talk lately here about where to get a tap out from parkers & dash lights to power instrument lights in after market switches so they come on when you switch on the other genuine back light in standard equipment instruments at night. I think I have found the easiest place to take a tap out from remove the centre dash consul , the one with about six blank plugs in it just below the sat nav/ audio screen. look slightly to the right near the diff lock switch there is a spare plug not used for anything you just have to look for it, (This was for manual transmissions I am pretty sure on auto trans it gets used for driver assist but you can still use it as described) & is a black 4 pin plug with a white stripe on it, it has 4 wires going to it 1- blue 1pink & 2 others, white with black stripes on them tap out the PINK wire it comes on with parkers & headlights & easy to get at. Tried all the others no power at any time with ign on or off most likely no fuse in them just thought this may be helpful to someone else. CHEERS :)
Last edited by berniecam on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 5:27 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
berniecam

Re: Dash Lights 2016 SR5 Tap out point

Postby akroehn on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 2:39 +0000

I found another spot, behind the Idle Up button - for that switch the blue wire is the parker/dash light power. It was pretty easy to get to, I just bared a bit back, added another short length of wire with a lug on the end, and soldered it.

:D
akroehn

Postby berniecam on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 5:33 +0000

akroehn wrote:I found another spot, behind the Idle Up button - for that switch the blue wire is the parker/dash light power. It was pretty easy to get to, I just bared a bit back, added another short length of wire with a lug on the end, and soldered it.

:D

Hi akroehn. Yep all good that will work as well. Just wondering if you have tapped out a 12 volt supply for low current draw only with ignition ON. There are a few places some easier than others to get to. Cheers :)
berniecam

Postby akroehn on Tue, 19 Apr 2016 7:26 +0000

berniecam wrote:Hi akroehn. Yep all good that will work as well. Just wondering if you have tapped out a 12 volt supply for low current draw only with ignition ON. There are a few places some easier than others to get to. Cheers :)

Hi, no i havent yet but will need to soon, am thinking something non-critical, like cigarette power socket? Should have a decent cable going to it as some charging devices might have a large-ish power draw..

There are so many cables and plugs with nothing connected under the dash now, but you need to be a contortionist to try and get under there and have a good look, let alone test with a multimeter!! [emoji6]
akroehn

Postby berniecam on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 6:38 +0000

akroehn wrote:
berniecam wrote:Hi akroehn. Yep all good that will work as well. Just wondering if you have tapped out a 12 volt supply for low current draw only with ignition ON. There are a few places some easier than others to get to. Cheers :)

Hi, no i havent yet but will need to soon, am thinking something non-critical, like cigarette power socket? Should have a decent cable going to it as some charging devices might have a large-ish power draw..

There are so many cables and plugs with nothing connected under the dash now, but you need to be a contortionist to try and get under there and have a good look, let alone test with a multimeter!! [emoji6]

Hi akrohen. The cig sockets & the twin power sockets in 2016 SR5 will power up when you turn on accessories & yep will stay on when you go to ign on. I wanted a power on only with Ign on & not on with accessories, after some testing I found one that is fairly easy to get to, take out glove box the fuse box on the left side only has two or three fuses in it, go the two spare places right down the bottom the both have power & not used, just plug in a fuse tap with extra fuse & bingo you are in business. :D CHEERS.
berniecam

Postby Ghanaboy on Mon, 18 Mar 2019 9:49 +0000

Do you guys know where the Fuse is for that, as i tapped into it, but i shorted the bugger and now it has no power on it, any Idea's as i can't locate it ?
Ghanaboy

Return to Electrical