2016 Head Unit Removal

Re: 2016 Head Unit Removal

Postby Concon29 on Sat, 28 May 2016 4:15 +0000

stv091 wrote:Hi guys, I removed mine just the other day to check harness plugs etc. Am i the only one who finds the standard head unit confusing and dysfunctional??
I installed new pioneer speakers throughout cab but sound terrible on stock headunit (worse than standard speakers) so have decided to upgrade.
Wiring harness is same as previous models. You can buy harness + steering wheel control module for about $100 on eBay. Have also found a plug which converts OEM usb to actual USB (to plug into new head unit rear USB port). Looking to install the pioneer 3800 model. Anyone else looking to do the same? interested to know if any issues occur etc.

I was talking to a professional car sound installer and hes looking into seeing if I can still keep function in the head up display between the speedo and tacho. otherwise if I keep same head unit he thinks he can get good sound from amp and speaker upgrade and maybe a sound processor to really give me mindblowing sound in my hilux which is a must before any other aftermarket add ons to my sr5. would you know about warranty if you urgrade speakers ? I guess you would only loose warranty on factory speakers right ? not sat nav ?
Concon29

Postby Buckhunter1 on Sat, 28 May 2016 5:28 +0000

I'd be interested in seeing the end result mate. Cheers keep us updated on your progress.
Buckhunter1

Postby Basteward on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 2:07 +0000

Is there not existing cabling in the wiring loom from the head unit to the back for a genuine reverse camera, even in the cab chassis version?
Basteward

Postby gnomeo on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 2:25 +0000

Basteward wrote:Is there not existing cabling in the wiring loom from the head unit to the back for a genuine reverse camera, even in the cab chassis version?

No, the genuine camera needs to be wired all the way to the head unit. I cant understand why they dont just use generic looms.... then again I do it probably allows the workshops to charge more labour and allows Toyota to sell more of a kit rather than one part.
gnomeo

Postby erjm94 on Sun, 05 Jun 2016 6:02 +0000

Basteward wrote:Is there not existing cabling in the wiring loom from the head unit to the back for a genuine reverse camera, even in the cab chassis version?

I was told by my dealer when I bought my SR cab chassis the the wiring was all already there if I wanted to install the reverse camera later on. Have a look under your tray, there's a few cables that are there that appear to be going no where and just have plugs on the end.
I was thinking maybe an easy way for Toyota to charge out more labour for nothing and maybe my dealer accidentally let slip?
erjm94

Postby cookiedd on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:57 +0000

Hi im new here, got a new 2016 SR dual cab few month ago.
been doing a few searches and found out this quite neat after market head unit from china.
i would really like to give it a try if the fitting is not so hard, as they said on the website it should be a easy fit just unplug the original and plug in the new one.
here is a link of it, any opinions before i start?

web link
http://www.grelmn.com/products/Toyota-H ... 2VvHDB96Hu

youtube demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxtlU1O9Eek

looks like someone had already done this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsY1G6wXnpc
cookiedd

Postby cookiedd on Mon, 20 Jun 2016 3:56 +0000

Found this very useful detail on the head unit removal,
its an instruction for reverse camera install, but the process of the removal part is very informative.
should be able to help someone in the future, so I'll just leave it here.

cheers

http://carboncarsystems.com.au/wp-conte ... torial.pdf
cookiedd

Previous

Return to Electrical