Blind spot monitoring on earlier model Hilux

Blind spot monitoring on earlier model Hilux

Postby 4WD-FUN on Tue, 26 Mar 2024 7:07 +0000

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this on, but here goes.

I'm getting a Toyota HiLux SR5 (built April 2022), so it just missed out on the August 2022 update including the blind spot monitoring system.

I know in some earlier HiLuxes which didn't have cruise control you could literally just install the cruise control stick (e.g. from a wrecked HiLux) and the wiring would be there and it'd work perfectly fine. So, it got me thinking about how much would be involved in trying to get blind spot monitoring to work in my April 2022 HiLux SR5?

Would it just be a case of replacing the mirrors with those from a 2022MY or 2023MY HiLux SR5 and all the wiring would be there to support the BSM technology, or would it require more (e.g. installation of other sensors and/or cameras elsewhere on the vehicle)?

I know there's after market options available, but thought it'd be cool to know if it was possible to do using genuine Toyota parts from a newer model year.

I also don't know how good after market systems would be - anyone know?
4WD-FUN

Re: Blind spot monitoring on earlier model Hilux

Postby ptommo59 on Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:27 +0000

The Genuine BSM system uses sideways facing radars in the rear bumper mounted at specific angles and calibrated for this, plus its integrated into the main CANBus system.
So its not a simple DIY task to retrofit as your talking bracketry, cables, radar sensors, BSM ECU, mirrors and updates to the vehicle CANBus/other ECU software/safety systems to work with this additional feature.

Can't help with the aftermarket options.
ptommo59

Re: Blind spot monitoring on earlier model Hilux

Postby 4WD-FUN on Sun, 31 Mar 2024 8:25 +0000

Thank you so m much for your reply and explaining the ins and outs for me. Really appreciate it.
4WD-FUN

Return to Electrical