LED combination light on bullbar not working

LED combination light on bullbar not working

Postby erkilux on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 1:35 +0000

Hi all

Vehicle in question is a 2016 SR5.

The DRL and parker portion of the combination LED light (6 diodes for DRL and parker, 3 diodes for indicator) on my Toyota steel bullbar has stopped working recently. Indicator still works. Took the light off (it's on the left hand side) and plugged it into the harness on the drivers side. Still had the same issue so obviously something wrong with the light itself.

Searching the part number (PZQ59-89020) yields no result online. Went to my local Toyota dealership and the parts guy found a near identical light with a different part number (PZQ85-89792). Got home and the new light fits perfectly but has 6 wires as opposed to 3 wires on the old one. So I can't plug the new light into the existing harness and can't work out which wires do what to make up a patch harness.

Has anyone here had an issue like that or can help me work out how to get the new light connected. I need to get a blue slip done on the ute in the next few days and don't believe I'll get one without that light working. Any help appreciated.

Attached some photos of the lights and plugs:
https://ibb.co/album/b71pdH
Last edited by erkilux on Sat, 03 Jun 2023 7:39 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
erkilux

Re: LED combination light on bullbar not working

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 2:20 +0000

I'd take both light fittings back to where you got the new one, show the sales tech and say, "This just isn't gonna fit". Can I have the correct part please?
If you also take the VIN, Chassis & Engine Numbers the sales person should be able to look up the exact part you need.
Rob_Wood

Postby erkilux on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 5:05 +0000

Hey Rob, yeah I did that already. Went back with both of them and showed him the different connectors. Unfortunately the part number on the old one doesn't come up with anything. He was going to do more digging, got back to me the next day said he hasn't found anything helpful but is going to keep looking and will give me an update soon.

Thought I'll just try the brains trust in case someone's already been through a similar struggle
erkilux

Postby dave g on Thu, 01 Jun 2023 9:55 +0000

put it back together and use a test light or a volt meter and find out where there is on power.
dave g

Postby erkilux on Fri, 02 Jun 2023 10:16 +0000

There is power all the way to the plug. Wire is all good from the plug to the casing. Light itself is a sealed unit so I haven't been able to open it to see what's happening inside.
erkilux

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 02 Jun 2023 2:09 +0000

Maybe the light itself is blown... Try a resistance check across the plug connection.
Maybe the old light is a ring-in put there by the bullbar manufacturer? The Toyota one maybe looks identical but the bullbar one is wired different.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby dave g on Fri, 02 Jun 2023 4:07 +0000

Just had a look at the photos
The spare parts have given you the wrong light
They have more than one harness in the hilux to suit the different set ups same with fog lights same with out there is 4 or 5 different ones.
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 02 Jun 2023 7:58 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Maybe the light itself is blown... Try a resistance check across the plug connection.

Won't work properly on LEDs, Diodes have a special setting (and need correct polarity) when testing them with multimetres. You also need to remember that these moulded light fittings usually have more than just a diode, they will likely have small integrated circuits enclosed into the moulded fitting as well.

Gipsy wrote:Maybe the old light is a ring-in put there by the bullbar manufacturer? The Toyota one maybe looks identical but the bullbar one is wired different.

Maybe so, but then the Bullbar manufacturer would be the one to see for replacement parts and not Toyota ... I would suspect.
Rob_Wood

Postby ptommo59 on Sat, 03 Jun 2023 9:53 +0000

HI erkilux ,

Go to https://toyotamanuals.com.au/

Select the accessories option and put these part numbers in and then download the harness installation instructions which have a wiring diagram in them (Seems you old light was DRL/Parker only and new one also has an indicator function)

PZQ85-89235 - Lo Grade Patch Harness (3 pin to DRL/Parker)

PZQ85-89245 - Hi Grade Patch Harness (6 pin to DRL/Parker/Indicator)

You may be able to use the harness number to find the matching light or if not re-terminate the new light with the connector/cable from your broken light using the wiring diagrams as a guide.

(You didn't specify year so if these don't match try finding the equivalent that does)

Edit: Miss read the diagram they both connect to the new 6 pin light type but the Lo Grade has the vehicle 3 pin DRL/Parker connector as an input so may still be a guide to connections.

Hope this helps
ptommo59

Postby erkilux on Sat, 03 Jun 2023 8:19 +0000

Thank you for your time and input everyone.

Since my first post was typed on the phone I forgot to add some details and also misplaced the emphasis it seems.

I'm not wondering why my light isn't working. I know that the problem is in the light. I've eliminated the wiring - it's all good. The issue I'm having is finding a replacement part.

Should have added vehicle details too: Hilux SR5 dual cab 2016 model. Steel Toyota bullbar. Bullbar has fog lights and an LED combination light (DRL, parkers and indicator all in one).

Haven't had any luck yet unfortunately. Visited all the wreckers in Wagga, rang one in Ballarat that does newer N80 Hilux's, no luck there. Tried another Toyota dealer and they got to a dead end as well with this.

The replacement part I was initially sold by the local dealer seems to actually belong to a 200 series.

ptommo59 wrote:HI erkilux ,

Go to https://toyotamanuals.com.au/

Select the accessories option and put these part numbers in and then download the harness installation instructions which have a wiring diagram in them (Seems you old light was DRL/Parker only and new one also has an indicator function)

PZQ85-89235 - Lo Grade Patch Harness (3 pin to DRL/Parker)

PZQ85-89245 - Hi Grade Patch Harness (6 pin to DRL/Parker/Indicator)

You may be able to use the harness number to find the matching light or if not re-terminate the new light with the connector/cable from your broken light using the wiring diagrams as a guide.

(You didn't specify year so if these don't match try finding the equivalent that does)

Edit: Miss read the diagram they both connect to the new 6 pin light type but the Lo Grade has the vehicle 3 pin DRL/Parker connector as an input so may still be a guide to connections.

Hope this helps

Thanks Tommo, that was very helpful actually. I didn't know about that website. Had a look at the diagrams and it seems to confirm my suspicion that the part I was sold is not for a Hilux.. The colors of the wires don't match the diagram at all.

I tried finding a similar installation instruction for an earlier model (2016 in my case) but couldn't find any part numbers unfortunately.

The only piece of hope I've found are a few second hand bullbars on marketplace with the exact same lights. Almost feel like it's easier buying a whole bullbar just for that light.
erkilux

Postby erkilux on Sat, 03 Jun 2023 8:29 +0000

dave g wrote:Just had a look at the photos
The spare parts have given you the wrong light
They have more than one harness in the hilux to suit the different set ups same with fog lights same with out there is 4 or 5 different ones.

Hey Dave,

you seem to be correct. Do you have any idea of part numbers or anything for me to take to spare parts for a light that might suit? My setup is with fog lights.

Rob_Wood wrote:
Gipsy wrote:Maybe the light itself is blown... Try a resistance check across the plug connection.

Won't work properly on LEDs, Diodes have a special setting (and need correct polarity) when testing them with multimetres. You also need to remember that these moulded light fittings usually have more than just a diode, they will likely have small integrated circuits enclosed into the moulded fitting as well.

I suspected a circuit in there as well. Looking very closely at the light I can see the diodes coming on very faintly and flickering a little bit. Nothing out of the ordinary on the visible side but I suspect some water might have gotten inside where the board would be and possibly damaged something.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to open the light even with a heat gun.
erkilux

Postby ptommo59 on Sun, 04 Jun 2023 8:35 +0000

HI erkilux ,

Did a bit of digging and they completely changed the hilux bullbar harness and light switching arrangement during the Aug 2020 updates (which those docs I listed above are for).

I thought yours was only two light due to only three wires assuming one was the earth but as you mention it seems that it uses the aluminium body as the earth for all three lights.

I did find the harness numbers for the earlier model bullbar (PZQ8589590) in this bullbar installation doc PZQ2989272 but there was no info for it on the site I listed so not much help.

As you say its a pain that none of the online Toyota parts catalogues like amayama and partsouq etc seem to cover accessories so you cant check for stock availability and part number supersessions.

Don't know if anyone recognises the logo on your original light. That might give an indication who the actual manufacturer that supplies to Toyota is, as then you might be able so search their website to see if its still available under a different part number or if they have an equivalent that would work in you application.

Edit: Found the Install Instructions that match your light. Go to the Toyota site and put in PZQ2989281 and download the top two files. At the rear of the install instructions is the wiring diagram covering your three wire light which is actually connected to an ECU mounted on the lefthand upright of your bull bar. If nothing else now you at least have a wiring diagram.
ptommo59

Postby erkilux on Thu, 08 Jun 2023 12:42 +0000

ptommo59 wrote:HI erkilux ,

Did a bit of digging and they completely changed the hilux bullbar harness and light switching arrangement during the Aug 2020 updates (which those docs I listed above are for).

I thought yours was only two light due to only three wires assuming one was the earth but as you mention it seems that it uses the aluminium body as the earth for all three lights.

I did find the harness numbers for the earlier model bullbar (PZQ8589590) in this bullbar installation doc PZQ2989272 but there was no info for it on the site I listed so not much help.

As you say its a pain that none of the online Toyota parts catalogues like amayama and partsouq etc seem to cover accessories so you cant check for stock availability and part number supersessions.

Don't know if anyone recognises the logo on your original light. That might give an indication who the actual manufacturer that supplies to Toyota is, as then you might be able so search their website to see if its still available under a different part number or if they have an equivalent that would work in you application.

Edit: Found the Install Instructions that match your light. Go to the Toyota site and put in PZQ2989281 and download the top two files. At the rear of the install instructions is the wiring diagram covering your three wire light which is actually connected to an ECU mounted on the lefthand upright of your bull bar. If nothing else now you at least have a wiring diagram.

Thanks again for your help.

Went into local Toyota again on Monday asking them to dig deeper and hopefully come up with a solution. Well they found what they thought was going to be a solution. Sold me a harness PZQ29892DK. Had to wait for it to get sent up from Melb. Got here today and it doesn't look like it's going to be of any help. Has a 6 pin male, 6 pin female and 4 pin male on it.

My attempts at finding an older style light like mine from a wrecker have been unsuccessful as well.

The part numbers and associated documents/diagrams you've found have been the most helpful so far. Toyota told me they've done all they can. I think I'll be using the diagrams and make up my own wiring to suit the newer style light.

Main difference seems to be that the old version had an ECU on the bullbar but the new lights have their own ECUs inside. So for the LH lamp I'll bypass the old ECU and wire the inputs into the new light. Should get me going I think
erkilux

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 08 Jun 2023 4:15 +0000

erkilux wrote:
Main difference seems to be that the old version had an ECU on the bullbar but the new lights have their own ECUs inside. So for the LH lamp I'll bypass the old ECU and wire the inputs into the new light. Should get me going I think

Long shot I know, but have a quick look to see if the plugs upstream of the ECU on the bullbar might fit the plugs on the new light fittings. Just a thought!
Rob_Wood

Postby erkilux on Tue, 20 Jun 2023 7:16 +0000

Thanks everyone for your time and help. I was able to get the problem sorted and got the ute through a roadworthy :D

So ended up having to use the light with the 6-pin connector that Toyota initially sold me. I located the 6 wires that needed to go into that light (LH IND IN, LH IND OUT, +12V IN, GROUND, IGNITION, PARKER) which turned out to be quite easy as they were all contained in one conduit. Cut them all and then joined four of them again (+12V, GND, IGN, PRK as they still needed to continue on to the ECU) with an extra wire to go to the new light. LHD IND IN and OUT don't have to go to the ECU anymore, straight to the new light instead. Then I cut the Toyota connector off the light and wired up a 6-pin Deutsch connector. Once plugged in everything worked as it should. Hope that helps someone one day

Rob_Wood wrote:Long shot I know, but have a quick look to see if the plugs upstream of the ECU on the bullbar might fit the plugs on the new light fittings. Just a thought!

Unfortunately they didn't! Old harness and the updated version are just so different that I don't think any patch lead could make it work. But a couple of diagrams, a soldering iron and a cold beer sure can :lol:
erkilux

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 21 Jun 2023 8:05 +0000

erkilux wrote: ... wired up a 6-pin Deutsch connector. Once plugged in everything worked as it should. Hope that helps someone one day

I live on a dirt road and over about a year the dirt gets under the tape and pushes the Deutsch plug & socket apart. Just something to keep an eye on.

Rob_Wood wrote:Long shot I know, but have a quick look to see if the plugs upstream of the ECU on the bullbar might fit the plugs on the new light fittings. Just a thought!

erkilux wrote:Unfortunately they didn't! Old harness and the updated version are just so different that I don't think any patch lead could make it work. But a couple of diagrams, a soldering iron and a cold beer sure can :lol:

Only one beer? You might be doing it wrong I think. :) :) :)
Rob_Wood

Return to Electrical