clutch and brake issues

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

clutch and brake issues

Postby kingwilly on Thu, 30 Aug 2007 3:51 +0000

I've got a 2006 SR5 xtra cab which is due to have its 20k service next week. I have noticed that when towing my tinny for any longer than 30 minutes, the clutch starts to slip in top gear. This is extremely noticable when you put your your foot down to go up a hill or pass another vehicle. This has happened for the last few thousand k's but I can't get the clutch to slip at any other time. Has anyone else had this problem?
The other concern I have is with the noise (very metalic) coming from the front end when braking heavy on rough roads. It feels like the ABS is working but it sounds awful. This has happened since before the 10k service but the service people said they couldn't find a problem. Any one else had an issue with the ABS?
kingwilly

clutch and brake issues

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:34 +0000

kingwilly,

I have experienced on a few occasions the same noisy sound coming from the front end during heavy braking.

I was on a part gravel and part asphalt road and came to a large depression on the road and braked heavily to scrub speed and the noise sounded like the metal bash plate made contact with the road.

I later checked with Toyota and was advised that it was the ABS working.

Funny thing though, I did not notice the brake pedal shudder as normally the ABS modulates the brake pedal to slow the vehicle down.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

clutch and brake issues

Postby camwill69 on Fri, 18 Mar 2022 3:47 +0000

Hi Kingwilly,
Yes mate i have the same noise when braking on gravel roads. I just put it down to the ABS. I could not feel it through the brake pedal either as in the falcon I had. In it you felt it in the pedal.

On the Qld trip the boy's with a/t's and m/t tyres did not seem to have the same issue with the ABS coming on all the time as me with standard tyres.

Would be nice to have a relay/switch that turned of the ABS when you engage 4x4.

Regards,
Camwill69

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri, 18 Mar 2022 3:47 +0000.
camwill69

Return to Drive Train Components