Rattling noise when idling with clutch pedal pushed in

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Rattling noise when idling with clutch pedal pushed in

Postby mor78 on Sun, 27 Nov 2011 4:14 +0000

Its gearbox roll over noise, nothing to worry about. a lot of 4x4s'/light trucks make this noise. If your worried try putting a higher rating lower end gear oil in. Its not the clutch. when you press the clutch in it loads up the gearbox to a certain degree thus the noise going away. once selected in 1st gear and idling along can you still hear the noise??? prob not cause you have loaded the gearbox up
mor78

Postby Westy3 on Sat, 24 Dec 2011 8:11 +0000

I don't have the rattling noise, but I have a sqeaking noise when idling, depress the clutch and it goes away, comes back when I release the clutch, even when driving I can hear the noise if i'm just cruising, disapears when under load , I figure it's the throwout bearing. It's realy annoying and embarrassing.
Westy3

Postby kiwiinbriz on Tue, 23 Apr 2013 5:34 +0000

I had this very same issue, i went to kmart who said it needed a shim adjustment on the valves but that i should take it to toyota as they didnt have the gear to do it, :lol:

so to toyota i went.

They looked at it and said it was a high finger on clutch. :cry: so since it was a 9 month old hd clutch kmart put in i went to them and claimed a warrenty repair.

While all the gear box was out the kmart mech also looked at the clutch fork, this turned out to b the problem, he did his research with toyota and found out the clutch fork had been re designed 3 times for the 2006 sr5 due to "issues" . Toyota declined to elaborate.

Anyway, it turns out the knuckle that joins onto the clutch fork had come loose which created the rattle, the rattle then went away when i placed my foot on the clutch ever so slightly.

Kmart gave me a new hd clutch anyway as well as paying the $220 for the clutch fork and knuckle and free labour of course and i can happily say after 4 weeks im still rattle free.

After seeing the clutch fork and knuckle the took out im certain that was the issue and not the clutch. score to get a new one though :-)

The rattle happened at idle, when driving at high and low speeds, drove me crazy!

Hope this helps :D
kiwiinbriz

Postby tommo125 on Wed, 01 May 2013 8:08 +0000

After my clutch went in my 06 hilux I went and talked to a bloke that has run a business selling ONLY clutch systems for many many years. He knows his stuff! I went all out and had an 11" solid flywheel and clutch conversion done increasing surface area giving me a bloody solid clutch system!

A few months later I was getting these same symptoms (rattling noise that disappears when i press in the clutch in slightly). I called him and straight away he told me its a common problem and that the clutch fork is slightly hitting on the bearing due to a stretched spring which holds tension on the fork when the clutch isn't depressed. He said this spring can get stretched when installing a clutch or can happen anyway. He said I would mostly notice the noise after not using the clutch for a while when the hydraulic pressure in the lines has dropped and the slave cylinder isnt pressing as hard on the fork/pivot ball holding it away from the bearing (and neither is the spring now that its stretched).

He said its not a big issue but yea, apparently due to this stretched spring. Its just an annoying noise but recommended i get it fixed some time. Maybe one day.
Just thought I would throw that out there. I hope this helps anyone stressing out like i was haha
tommo125

Postby gardykun26 on Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:52 +0000

After much thought had the same problem for a year and i have adjusted the clutch pedal to suit here is a picture to explain
i have attached link
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/att ... 1411627986
gardykun26

Postby andreimircea on Sat, 07 Oct 2023 12:52 +0000

tasibrett wrote:Does sound like the center of the clutch, springs rattling. Can happen if they didn't have it aligned properly when the put the box back in.

Hi mate, can you be more speciffic ?

I have just change the clutch myself, and i have a rattle at idle that goes away only when i fully depress the clutch,the noise starts when the GB its hot, on cold it has no noise.

I ve change the oil in GB, and for 1000km the sound dissipear, but now its back again :(

Thanks
andreimircea

Postby andreimircea on Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:41 +0000

andreimircea wrote:
tasibrett wrote:Does sound like the center of the clutch, springs rattling. Can happen if they didn't have it aligned properly when the put the box back in.

Hi mate, can you be more speciffic ?

I have just change the clutch myself, and i have a rattle at idle that goes away only when i fully depress the clutch,the noise starts when the GB its hot, on cold it has no noise.

I ve change the oil in GB, and for 1000km the sound dissipear, but now its back again :(

Thanks

This is the damn sound: https://imgur.com/a/f2dTEPs
andreimircea

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components