Rear End Grinding

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Rear End Grinding

Postby noodle on Mon, 02 Nov 2009 3:19 +0000

Just had the ute back from its 80K service.

They service guys said they had adjusted the rear brakes and also dedusted the drums. The brakes did initially feel better, and the handbrake works better (but only on the left wheel).

I've only just got back in it after the service (it was with wife duties) and I've noticed a grinding noise at low speed and when turning.

Initially when reversing and turning hard the back would shudder and jump around. It's not as bad now but still disturbing. It does it when going forward and turing full lock at slow speed also, but nowhere nere as bad as the back.
My first thugh was they have screwed up the brake adjustment.

I pulled the drums off yesterday, and apart from a handfull of dust, there are no obvious signs of harsh wearing.

After more testing on my dirt driveway, the noise is still there (albeit reduced), and only happens when the clutch is out. When I'm rolling with the clutch in (still turning hard) there is no noise and grinding feel.

Could it be they have put the wrong diff oil in at the last service? Or played around with something else?
Whats the easiest way to find out if it is the right oil? (apart from draining it and replacing it)

Al
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
noodle

Re: Rear End Grinding

Postby tasibrett on Mon, 02 Nov 2009 6:14 +0000

Would it be a shudder you are feeling rather than a grinding? Mine sure shudders when I turn sharp as one wheel skips across the top of any loose rocks on the road, and on grass it is extreme. It may be the new oil has cleaned out between the clutches and the diff is nice and tight again.

Obviously you should not get a hand full of dust out of your brakes when the have just been dedusted, but if they were adjusted up too tight you would not get the drum off.

Did you check they put oil back in the diff ?
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby noodle on Mon, 02 Nov 2009 6:31 +0000

It definately does shudder, and the grinding noise accompanies it. It makes no difference what suface its on, but it is loader/ harsher on tarmac.

I should point out that I have MTR's fitted which stick like glue which probably doesn't help. The drums came off really easy, which leads me to believe they did get in there and do something.

What you say makes sense about nice new oil tightening up the clutch pack. That was one of my initial thoughts, but I dismissed it as too much of a good thing.

I haven't checked the oil...... it's done 1500K since last service, so I would imagine that it would have failed by now if there was no oil in it.
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

noodle

Postby noodle on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 3:05 +0000

Update on the diff/ brake noise.

Took the ute back to Belco Toyota this arvo so they could have a look at the noise.

After draining out the diff oil and doing some tests they were not able to determine what the noise was, except for that it was definately in the diff.
They are now taking it off me for two weeks to strip the diff apart and have it all sent of for maesurements and alignment.
luckily I away for a few weeks with work so it all works out.
It's nice to find a service department that will go the extra step. He mentioned they could have just put friction modifier into it and sent me on my way until the warranty ran out, but thats not their scene.

Funnily enough, with the new oil in the diff, its all very quiet again....... makes me wonder if the wrong oil went in, in the first place :?

Will give it a few days to see if it makes any difference. Maybe they are covering their hides incase the wrong oil did some damage.

Al
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

noodle

Postby tasibrett on Thu, 05 Nov 2009 3:55 +0000

Good to hear you have a good service department up your way. It must happen that the wrong oil gets put in now and then, you may be the only one on here that now knows what it feels like.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Return to Drive Train Components