Finally, Upgraded CV Joints/Driveshafts

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Finally, Upgraded CV Joints/Driveshafts

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:01 +0000

Orgi wrote:wanting to build a tuff rig to do tuff tracks without the anxiety of snapping a cv. I got 2' lift (2-4" adjustable planned), diff drop, 31's (33-35's planned), rear elocker (fronts planned). Do alot of solo trips and hard tracks but would love to do harder. My goal is to make her as tuff as I can so i thought id start at her driveline and weed out the week links then other upgrades from there such as engine, brakes, cooler and turbo, protection etc etc the list goes on as we well know. But yeah drivetrain is top priority for me atm.

Both my n70 and n80 ran/run regeared and twin locked diffs on 35s, the n70 with the added torque of a second transfer case and i never once busted a CV.

It has a lot to do with driving technique and experience.

Knowing when to engage the front locker, how much you can and when to steer, when you can feed it and when you cant based on the position of the cv shaft in relation to suspension droop.

Youll be fine with the stock cvs. Its not a racecar
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Orgi on Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:20 +0000

Thx Max for your input mate. Good to have a senior mem share their wisdom. Seems the yota cv's are tuff as...i agree with you regarding how you wheel the vehicle. Ive had no dramas as yet but yeah its that anxiety i get when im climbing over the ruff stuff. Anyway cheers mate. hope to see you on the trax up qld sometime.
Orgi

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:33 +0000

Best advice i can give you. Carry a spare and the appropriate tools to swap it over and read up, watch some vids and even practise if you havent done it before.

Should be ale to get it swapped within 20mins with everything goin smoothly.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Orgi on Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:31 +0000

Yeah have done a few times on driveway..not on track yet or because of abus. had an inner seal leaking before i diff dropped. but yeah...its a pain the ass...lol. would rather avoid it at all costs...hahaha
Orgi

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 02 Feb 2019 12:33 +0000

It's also a lot easier to get genuine ones just about anywhere. It's also much easier to replace a shaft in the bush than have a blown diff. There is only so much them front diffs will handle, think of the shafts as the fuse in the system. With the correct set up you shouldn't break them at all if ya tackle the tracks correctly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components