Fitting Prado Brakes to Hilux

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Fitting Prado Brakes to Hilux

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 26 May 2009 7:43 +0000

Ok, Heres the thread to show you blokes that may be interested in this mod on how to do it. I dont promise that it will fit all 16" wheels, no doubt wheel offset would have a part to play in it but for those of you keen enough (like myself) to spend some time doing R&D in your garage with this, here is the lowdown on it.

This mod has been done on the LCOOL Forum, and it suited a 16x8 ROH Trak II wheel, so I dont see there should be too much of a problem on a 16x8 Dynamic wheel with zero offset like myself and some other run.
http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_series/wheels/16inch.html

Image below shows the area on the top part of the caliper that need to be shaved smooth to allow the clearance for the wheel to turn.

Image below shows the area below the caliper that needs to be shaved smooth to allow the clearance for the wheel to turn.

Going by the website linked above, the removed 2 to 3 mm of "meat" off the caliper. They at the time of the report had travelled 10,000km without any problems.

And here is a picture of a Prado with 16x7 sunraysias and 265/75x16's fitted to it.

The Prado brakes are exactly the same as the ones fitted to the TRD hilux which is why the TRD Hilux runs the 17x7.5" Mag wheel so they can clear the larger front brakes without any problems or modificiations required.

List of Parts Required for this mod.

RHF Prado Brake Caliper - Part No. 4775060261
LHF Prado Brake Caliper - Part No. 4773060261

RHF Brake Duct Cover - Part No. 4778160120
LHF Brake Dust Cover - Part No. 4778260120

Prado Disc Rotor's - Part No. 4351260151

Along with the above mentioned parts, there is one more to note and not to forget.....behind the Prado Brake Calipers, they ahve a short copper pipe that goes to the first joint which from then on is the same as the hilux one but you need this piece of pipe that runs off the back of the caliper for it to work properly, or you can fabricate your own piece of pipe if you wish.

RHF Brake Pipe - Part No. 4731435320
LHF Brake Pipe - Part No. 4731635280

You could save abit of money by ringing around Toyota Wreckers for a set of low kilometre calipers. I rang two of them and got prices of $130 per caliper and $150 per caliper respectively...alot less than the close to $700 that toyota will charge you for a new caliper each.

On the same note, you could also get a set of front discs from the wrecker that have lowish kilometres on them, get em machined and they will will still be fine for many kilometres to come. When they wear out, then you get some decent slotted and/or cross drilled discs.

Disclaimer - All tips, recommendations, and technical details are added as a guide only. Professional advice for your specific vehicle, accessories, and equipment should be sought to ensure compliance with any standard or body, which may have jurisdiction, and all relevant safety issues and common sense are applied. I and newhilux.net forum will not be responsible for any improperly fitted or modifed parts that may cause your vehicle to be unsafe.
Last edited by Hilux Max on Wed, 27 May 2009 7:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Fitting Prado Brakes to Hilux 16" wheels

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 26 May 2009 11:24 +0000

Max how thick is the caliper where the trimming is? also them being cast iron and being cast in a mould that is where the join is making it the weakest point. because there not made from a solid steel billet i not sure how much it will weaken the caliper.
Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 26 May 2009 11:45 +0000

im only going by what they said on the prado and landcruiser forums.....they reckon they havent had any problems....if modifying the calipers bothers people, you can change to the larger 17" wheels.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 26 May 2009 3:03 +0000

3mm should not make a huge differance, but it would always play in my mind that i have weakened a crutial componant. I also read somwhere that moding calipers to fit is illigal and should not be preformed, i think it was 4x4 action, but then again many of our mods on our trucks are illegal anyway :lol: so its just another for the tally lol
Troy :D
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 26 May 2009 3:24 +0000

Would there be any chance of Machining the existing caliper bore size out to suit the larger Prado pistons in the caliper.
Im not sure if there is a difference between the piston sizes between the makes but could be another avenue to explore. Assuming that the wall thickness would be subtantial to accept the larger diameter piston.?
Max are the discs the same between the Lux and the Prado? ie offset, diametre etc.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby rodw on Tue, 26 May 2009 4:49 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:I also read somwhere that moding calipers to fit is illigal and should not be preformed,
Troy :D

Troy, I am sure I read this too, but I checked QT and the NCOP brake section and I oculd not find that. However, NCOP recommends components that do not require modification are recommended.

Max, great that you have posted this. Can you confirm the Prado brakes are identical to the TRD and update your first post to reflect this?

The beauty of this modification is that it is using parts that are available for our model. That means this is really simple or an engineer to approve this and the TRD has 30.5" tyres standard and the TRD has identical rear brakes. I think it would be posible to obtain specific approval for larger tyres. The NCOP allows +50mm tyres so this would permit 32.5"so to be fitted to the TRD which would allow the 265/75 R16's or the equivalent 32" 17" tyre to be approved.

You might however also need to modify the diff ratios to finish this off and still be legal. Max, What ratio diffs does the TRD have?
Last edited by rodw on Wed, 27 May 2009 4:29 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 26 May 2009 5:05 +0000

TRD hilux has the same ratio as its donor vehicle...that being the v6 auto sr5.... so it would be 3.73:1

the trd brakes are identical to the prado brakes.

skog,

the discs offset would be the same but the diameters are different....will get diameters for you tommorow for comparison sake.

best way to be stress free and do this is to go a prado wheel, or a 17x7 or 8 sunraysia...... ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby wat700 on Tue, 26 May 2009 5:51 +0000

G'day Maxx,

Thanks for your research once again - very interesting reading.

While I'm guessing it would vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction is this the sort of mod (assuming you fitted 17's so no caliper mods) that you would need an engineering cert for?

Cheers,

Watto
wat700

Postby rodw on Tue, 26 May 2009 6:02 +0000

wat700 wrote:G'day Maxx,

Thanks for your research once again - very interesting reading.

While I'm guessing it would vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction is this the sort of mod (assuming you fitted 17's so no caliper mods) that you would need an engineering cert for?

Cheers,

Watto

That's something you might need to take up with your local Transort department. As you are puting a part on that is available in the same model range, you might get away with it without approval.
rodw

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 26 May 2009 6:47 +0000

a bit off topic i wonder why didnt they put slotted and cross drilled rotors on the TRD? cost????
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 26 May 2009 6:58 +0000

cost...... :cry:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 26 May 2009 7:08 +0000

i recon with the prado calipers and slotted and cross drilled rotors a good high temp brake fluid, she would be able to do endo's lol :lol:
Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Tue, 26 May 2009 7:14 +0000

ARD?
Would this mod have to be engineered to get the OK?

Marcelo
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby Drew on Wed, 27 May 2009 6:00 +0000

Sounds good maxx i have been thinking ahrd about this myself. And like rod said if its a part that is already available for our truck we might get away without a mod plate. Might also have to get me a tyre placard from a TRD...hehehe make my tyre dia legal. so to speak.. thanks for the info guys i think prado calipers and slotted disks will be the way to go.

Just an idear is our abs unit the same as the prado ? If ours is smaller is there anychance of overloading it or it not working properly with the bigger brakes?
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 27 May 2009 7:13 +0000

Drew wrote:Just an idear is our abs unit the same as the prado ? If ours is smaller is there anychance of overloading it or it not working properly with the bigger brakes?

Your question should have been is our ABS unit the same as the TRD which runs these brakes, and the answer is yes!

Some prado models with traction control have a different abs unit fitted.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 27 May 2009 7:58 +0000

Just an update, Thank to Rod he has forwarded to me some information for the benefit of any members contemplating this mod and concerned about legalities....

S 2.5 & 2.6 of the NCOP Brakes section is here:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP5_Section_LG_Brakes_3Feb2006.pdf

See Page 7. The NCOP does not say you can’t modify components, just preferred that you don’t.

The Vic standards clearly say you can’t grind callipers in section 9, thou it does say you can fit another braking system supplied by the manufacturer for the vehicle then that should be ok.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

So it looks like in Queensland you can get away with grinding the caliper but in Victoria you'll have to fit the 17" wheels and not grind at all.

Food for thought.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Wed, 27 May 2009 8:56 +0000

I am not so sure about the assumption in QLD as brake upgrades are approvable by an approved person (eg. private engineer) and are as such are out of scope of the QLD modification bible. The QLD regulations the approved person must follow are not available for download and you have to buy them from the government printer. In general, the rules in QLD are almost identical to VIC, just we have different approval processes, so I suspect when you dug into this, grinding would not be permitted up here either.

To legally do this upgrade will require 17" rims. If you did want to run 16" rims then I suggest you don't tackle the job with an angle grinder and get somebody with a lathe to machine the bumps off and follow the contour of the brake calliper. The modification would then probably pass unnoticed.
rodw

Postby rodw on Wed, 27 May 2009 9:00 +0000

Drew wrote:And like rod said if its a part that is already available for our truck we might get away without a mod plate.

Drew, in the NCOP it says drum to disc conversions using components from the same make and model don't need approval, but it does not cover disc to disc conversion. I guess that is to prevent a downgrade as discs always perform better than drums.

I think engineering approval and 17" rims would be the correct path.
rodw

Postby Drew on Thu, 28 May 2009 12:29 +0000

Top info guys, good to know the ABS unit is the same in the TRD. I think i am definatly going to give this a go as i was going to upgrade the standard disk rotors anyway so might aswell get the playdo caliper and some slotted disks....Tried to convince a bloke at work last night he needed bigger brakes on his new playdo and to sell me the old ones but he wouldnt be in it lol
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 15 Nov 2009 7:59 +0000

McSumWay and myself were discussing this modification at the NewVember trip on Saturday. We had Prados next to hiluxs and found that our Prado rims had substantially more clearance than other 16 inch rims fitted on the other hilux's...
Having a chat to Nath. Quinnys mate, said that some 16 inch rims will fit on the larger Prado caliper
Warren did a bit of research and found that the disc is 41mm larger. So we would need an extra 22mm of radial space in the rim to accomodate the caliper... "IF" it is the same as the hilux just offset out the additional distance to accomodate the disc.
Got under mine quickly tonight and guaged the gap between the caliper and the inside diametre of the rim. It measures approximately 27mm.. So in theory it should fit.
The tape measure is 25mm thick so it has about 1-1.5mm of gap between each side...
Here is a better shot showing the caliper clearance.
If it fits without fouling the caliper... Hmmm. Brake upgrade as the next mod... :)
Just need to find a Prado and bolt this rim on..
Cheers
Skog
Last edited by Skog07 on Sun, 15 Nov 2009 8:23 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added picture.
Skog07

Next

Return to Drive Train Components