2023 Rogue front and rear brakes on a N70 Hilux

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2023 Rogue front and rear brakes on a N70 Hilux

Postby trdlux09 on Tue, 08 Aug 2023 9:50 +0000

Hi all,

So as most of you probably know, the new rogue has been given a tremendous braking upgrade as follows:

1. 4 Piston callipers on the front with 17 inch disc (minimum 18 inch wheel using these brakes);
2. Rear disc brake from factory, that is a ventilated disc (they did it properly), very effective rear brakes I'm told.

Before I waste any money at a wrecker when one of these gets written off only to find out they don't fit, does any guru on here know if they will fit, or if there is any reason they won't fit?

I'm keen to do this upgrade on mine if it's possible, as that way I can stick with all Toyota parts for easy reference (rather than going a bendix rear disc brake kit for example).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

If it helps I have a 2009 TRD Hilux 4000SL, so it already has the prado brakes on the front, but it still feels inadequate sometimes.
trdlux09

Re: 2023 Rogue front and rear brakes on a N70 Hilux

Postby Skrewdriver on Tue, 08 Aug 2023 9:59 +0000

Don't worry about the brake upgrade.

https://rocketindustries.com.au/ss43048 ... te-size-28

You can thank me now.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Re: 2023 Rogue front and rear brakes on a N70 Hilux

Postby ptrl1600 on Tue, 08 Aug 2023 6:21 +0000

trdlux09 wrote:Hi all,

So as most of you probably know, the new rogue has been given a tremendous braking upgrade as follows:

1. 4 Piston callipers on the front with 17 inch disc (minimum 18 inch wheel using these brakes);
2. Rear disc brake from factory, that is a ventilated disc (they did it properly), very effective rear brakes I'm told.

Before I waste any money at a wrecker when one of these gets written off only to find out they don't fit, does any guru on here know if they will fit, or if there is any reason they won't fit?

I'm keen to do this upgrade on mine if it's possible, as that way I can stick with all Toyota parts for easy reference (rather than going a bendix rear disc brake kit for example).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

If it helps I have a 2009 TRD Hilux 4000SL, so it already has the prado brakes on the front, but it still feels inadequate sometimes.

Hi trdlux09,

It seems that a few manufacturers are now fitting rear disc brakes to utes and now that most come with larger wheels, it's easy to accommodate the calipers while increasing the disc size to be as large or larger than the drums they replace.
Personally, I looked at a few options and the one that I went with was the BBG kit using the Nissan Patrol 315mm rear vented discs along with the Patrol's front calipers. This setup has transformed the braking ability on my Hilux even though I stuck with the original 297mm front rotors because I wanted to stay with 16" wheels. The best part is the transfer case mounted Wilwood handbrake disc and caliper which actually works, unlike the original drum handbrake that needed constant adjustment. I'd suggest that Nissan parts are cheaper than Toyota - I found a new pair of discs for under $100 and calipers were under $200 new. Another reason that I did the conversion was to make replacing rear wheel bearings and seals so much easier, without having to remove and bleed the wheel cylinders.
ptrl1600

Return to Drive Train Components