Differential Oil Storage Ring

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Differential Oil Storage Ring

Postby getmeoutofhere on Fri, 09 Jun 2023 1:02 +0000

Hi all,
The rear diff front pinion bearing on my 09 Hilux KUN26 was showing some small movement so before things got bad Ive pulled it down to replace all bearings and seals.
When removing the front bearing cup I should of just welded around inside it and removed it that way but instead of making a mess i opted to just knock it out with a punch and took out the oil control ring at the same time as its located behind the bearing cup.
I understand the logic behind the ring but even so is this Oil Control Ring a real requirement or should i just forget about it, the kits don't come with a replacement one and i cannot find anything about whether to replace or forget about it elsewhere online apart from a mention of it in the workshop manual. I figure that if its such a critical item they'd be mentioned and available everywhere whereas google only brings up an occasional one or just wait for a dealer to order one in.

Anyone have any experiences with this oil control ring and leaving it out or replacing it.

Thanks
getmeoutofhere

Re: Differential Oil Storage Ring

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:36 +0000

There a nice to have but not essential. They keep some oil on the outer pinion bearing for low speeds etc when the ring gear isnt going fast enough to spray oil everywhere.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Re: Differential Oil Storage Ring

Postby getmeoutofhere on Wed, 14 Jun 2023 5:47 +0000

Thanks, I was in a hurry to get it back together but ended up feeling guilty about leaving it out and ordering one out of toyota and waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for your input
getmeoutofhere

Return to Drive Train Components