Differential oil capacity and draining

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Differential oil capacity and draining

Postby RookieHilux on Wed, 07 Jun 2023 4:00 +0000

So today we changed Differential and transfer case oils for my hilux, Front Diff with ADD 1,65 liters, Rear Diff with lock 2,90 Liter and transfer case 1 Liter, thats total 5,55 liters.

We let the diffs and tranfers case to drain for about 10 minutes or so, till there was barely nothing coming out at all, after that filling the up with hand pump till they leaked from the filler hole, and we did a double check for each hole with a finger.

After i got home the 20 liter canister of oil was sitting at 15 liters mark, so that makes me wonder, did we screw up by not letting the cases drain for long enough? how much old oil they can hold up after draining? Worst case scenario is that we didnt fill em up enough. cant get to car on a lift to do a triple check from the filler holes right now, and im too chubby to go under the car to do it on the parking lot :D

am i just being too paranoid about this or is it normal that diff and tranfer case wont drain all way to empty? :)
RookieHilux

Re: Differential oil capacity and draining

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 07 Jun 2023 6:58 +0000

Maybe the 20litre can was overfilled by .55litres? Anyway don't worry if you checked the fill hole with your finger it's full ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:19 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Maybe the 20litre can was overfilled by .55litres? Anyway don't worry if you checked the fill hole with your finger it's full ;)

If you are stressed (without panicking) then after daily driving for a week you can stick your finger in again.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Wed, 07 Jun 2023 4:11 +0000

Your right they never drain comple jack the car up so it is level unscrew the filer plugs if oil does not run out you need to top it up the bottom of the hole is the full level if it over full let it drain to the level.
dave g

Return to Drive Train Components