LSD causing tires to skid around corners like diff is locked

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

LSD causing tires to skid around corners like diff is locked

Postby SteveD1984 on Sat, 14 May 2022 1:57 +0000

Is this normal? I have a 2012 4x4 workmate. I think it's got an LSD. Pretty much every time I go around a tight corner at an intersection, one of the rear tires (inside rear I think) locks up/skids for a millisecond like I have a fully locked diff. Is this normal? I don't have a diff locker.

Just worried about tire wear from this. I'm running slightly lower PSI in tires currently due to traction issues in wet weather and no weight in tray.
SteveD1984

Re: LSD causing tires to skid around corners like diff is lo

Postby 241steve on Sat, 14 May 2022 5:07 +0000

if your hearing tyres chirping around corners the diff must be locking up if . iT will be all over the place in the wet the toyata lsd will single out pretty easy even when new on a wet road I got the idea in my head there was something wrong with mine about 6 months after I had it rebuilt and went and pestered the diff bloke he explained it to me I also had a noise it turned out to be the handbrake. Get a change over diff now before it holds you up, if you leave it until it breaks something they will charge you more on the change over I regret not rebuilding mine as a locker .
241steve

Re: LSD causing tires to skid around corners like diff is lo

Postby ptrl1600 on Mon, 04 Jul 2022 7:11 +0000

SteveD1984 wrote:Is this normal? I have a 2012 4x4 workmate. I think it's got an LSD. Pretty much every time I go around a tight corner at an intersection, one of the rear tires (inside rear I think) locks up/skids for a millisecond like I have a fully locked diff. Is this normal? I don't have a diff locker.

Just worried about tire wear from this. I'm running slightly lower PSI in tires currently due to traction issues in wet weather and no weight in tray.

It sounds to me like it's working as it should, particularly if you don't have any weight in the back on the tray. My 4.0L V6 does it quite a bit if I use much throttle around a corner. I'd be concerned if it didn't chirp a bit when cornering - telling me the clutches are slipping, which should only happen with traction and weight in the tray. It will stop doing it when the diff clutches are worn and slip.
ptrl1600

Return to Drive Train Components