groan noise in manual gearbox

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

groan noise in manual gearbox

Postby thejesus007 on Mon, 17 May 2021 5:50 +0000

Hi all, sorry its my first post.

Between 1300-2000rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd (might be other gears but cant hear) i get this groaning vibration noise under load (normal driving load or more), if you feather the throttle and drive slow you wont hear it and can avoid is while getting up to speed, the harder you put your foot down (the more load) the louder the groan gets. The groaning noise pattern doesnt seem to speed up either as the rpm increases for that period, its just a general groany vibration noise.

the car has only done 90k km

Any ideas would be traffic, ive been researching for a long time and cant find anyone else with the same issue.
thejesus007

Re: groan noise in manual gearbox

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 18 May 2021 7:03 +0000

What year is it? Have you replaced the oil recently? A lot of them have a slight noise/groan.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 18 May 2021 7:41 +0000

Sounds to me like you're loading the engine too much at low revs. 1300-2000rpm is slightly above idle and although diesels make power down low they don't like to labour at low revs. Once above 2000rpm the turbo makes boost and they power away and the sweet spot for max power is 2-3500rpm. If you overload at low revs you're just pushing more fuel in than the engine can use and thus you don't get a clean burn and the turbo hasn't started to make boost. Try this... If your going up a hill, floor it then back off... Its amazing how little throttle is needed to maintain speed under load. I assume we're talking diesel here but petrol engines do the same, just at higher revs. I have a temperature probe in the dump pipe and if I'm going up a hill the temperature rises sharply (indicating more fuel going in) and if I back off, the temp rapidly declines but the speed settles to a steady climbing speed.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hylux on Tue, 18 May 2021 4:40 +0000

Year model would help.

If it doesnt do it in 4th but others gears it does then you may have the gearbox input shaft (and it's bearings) needing replacing. Not a cheap repair, maybe $2k. The reason it doesn't do it in 4th is because it's a direct drive

Another thought if you did a lift, your tailshaft may need realign with some shims
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby thejesus007 on Wed, 19 May 2021 7:00 +0000

thanks for the reply all, its a 2008 tgn16

its not being overloaded, you should be able to get upto speed (at a normal pace) without having to rev the crap out of it to avoid the noise zone.

a couple of people have mentioned the pilot bearing, is the pilot bearing on the input shaft? could they both be worn?

a clutch place suggested it could be gear chatter, but its only done 90k km, surely the teeth arent THAT worn.
thejesus007

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 19 May 2021 8:35 +0000

Have you dropped the oil?

If it were me I'd swap it out for a low km one from a wrecker. If its the r151 tranny, the early ones had problems which were quietly fixed by toyota. Anything post 2011 should have the problems sorted.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby hylux on Wed, 19 May 2021 4:13 +0000

Not sure about pilot bearing as my knowledge on gearboxes is not great. Have a read on this link. My input shaft failed at 110k with same symptoms but toyota relented and did an out of warranty repair
https://www.safetybrakeandclutch.co.za/ ... ne-faulty/
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby andreimircea on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 2:26 +0000

Hi guys, I have change the clutch at 260k, brand new AISIN clutch kit, and after that i got this rattell sound on idlle, soon as push the clutch down its stops. Some say its the pilot bearing, but i wouldnt hassle with the gearbox again, without beeing sure, so any advice its much apreciated.

Hilux 2014.
andreimircea

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:36 +0000

andreimircea wrote:Hi guys, I have change the clutch at 260k, brand new AISIN clutch kit, and after that i got this rattell sound on idlle, soon as push the clutch down its stops. Some say its the pilot bearing, but i wouldnt hassle with the gearbox again, without beeing sure, so any advice its much apreciated.

Hilux 2014.

A decent quality clutch "KIT" will include new thrust bearing and pressure plate. As you indicate, pulling gear box again is why every time I've done a plate swap I ALWAYS do the lot.
The rattle you mention could be either the thrust bearing or worn springs in the pressure plate or even something else all together like universals.
Have you got any more information?
Rob_Wood

Postby andreimircea on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 3:46 +0000

Hi, Rob, thanks for your answer.

I apologise for my english

So, i have change the pressure plate, clutch and thurst bearing, all AISIN, nevertheless the new clutch disk has two spring one inside the other, the old one had only one sping

The flywheel looked "like new" so i didn't touch it, except some air and some break cleaner.

So, the rattle noise goes away only with the clutch on the floor, soon as i relese it, starts to chatter, its exactly in the grabing point.

GB oil has 50k, i am changeing it right now

What make me frustrated, its that with the old clutch ( genuine 260k) wasnt doing any noise, and he reason i ve change it it was because the clutch pedal was extremly hard to press, now its fine, and everything works execellent on the gearbox/clutch, except the noise.

I dont have no strange noisese while i am driving it.

So i spent the night reading this forum ( truly gold) and i understant it might be just rolling gearbox noise.

If i press the iddle up button and idlle goes up to 1100rpm, the noise desepear.

Aniway, thanks again ppl
andreimircea

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 6:12 +0000

Apologies for the misunderstanding.
If increasing your idle speed makes the noise disappear, then I have to wonder if the problem has anything to do with the clutch at all?
Check the master and slave cylinders on your clutch and ensure they aren't grabbing AND that the fluid is in good nick and topped up.
The springs you speak of? Being one inside the other? Have you purchased a "sports clutch kit"? I always buy the best quality gear I can get my hand s on for.this type of job because I never wanna pull the gear box out again.
Just a thought!
Rob_Wood

Postby andreimircea on Thu, 21 Sep 2023 2:06 +0000

Hi Rob, thanks for all your suport, i have just change the GB oil, and the noise went down 70%, so i guess its just the gearbox.

The clucth its not a sport like, its just standar AISIN for Europeean market.

So i guess its kindda solved, so thanks again !
andreimircea

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 21 Sep 2023 8:59 +0000

andreimircea wrote:Hi Rob, thanks for all your suport, i have just change the GB oil, and the noise went down 70%, so i guess its just the gearbox.

The clucth its not a sport like, its just standar AISIN for Europeean market.

So i guess its kindda solved, so thanks again !

No worries Andre, Take care & good luck with your Hilux.

If the noise is coming from inside the Gear Box, then you might want to get it checked out, the Gear Box should be fairly silent.
Rob_Wood

Return to Drive Train Components