120 Series auto and transfer box fitting to SR Hilux

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

120 Series auto and transfer box fitting to SR Hilux

Postby DavidsLux on Sun, 02 Feb 2020 7:17 +0000

Hilux has recently come up with lockup code, removed transmission and converter to find transmission front pump bush now attached to the nose of the torque converter. I have purchased a 120 series Trans inc transfer box. I was going to use the front pump and Torque converter into my Trans but now I'm toying with the idea of fitting the Prado gear into Hilux.
The bell housing will have to be changed as the Prado gear is from a V6 Prado, easy enough to do. But the tansfer puts the tail shaft flanges in different position and there is no speedo pick up. Thoughts please would make the SR Hilux into an AWD with center diff lock.
DavidsLux

Re: 120 Series auto and transfer box fitting to SR Hilux

Postby HK1837 on Sun, 02 Feb 2020 9:30 +0000

I looked at this recently with my 2011 V6 Hilux. The Prado A750 box and transfer were near identical, from memory the transfer case lever was different location but apart from that all the same. I ended up buying a whole Hilux setup for not much more simply for the convenience of leaving it together and not having to split the box and transfer. The bellhousing was cracked on the donor so just swapped them. Everything else was straight swap.
If yours is one of the early diesels with that awful 4spd auto I don’t think it will work. You could go and get tailshafts, gearbox crossmember etc but the ECU will still be looking for a 4spd auto. If it is a later diesel with A750 box just use the box with your transfer case, and use all the sensors off your box as you know they work with your ECU. I’d take the box to an auto shop for a service before putting it in too.
HK1837

Re: 120 Series auto and transfer box fitting to SR Hilux

Postby DavidsLux on Sun, 02 Feb 2020 12:17 +0000

Yes early 4 speed, 120 series box the same A340F ( 3-40LE ) same as early Hilux KUN-26 (2008). But the transfer box is deeper by 25MM, so longer front shaft and shorter rear shaft as I already running a 60mm suspension lift on standard trail shafts.
DavidsLux

Return to Drive Train Components