What breathers do I need for my Lux?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

What breathers do I need for my Lux?

Postby TBJ on Mon, 30 Sep 2019 5:23 +0000

So, I've decided I need to do some more preventative mods for my Lux specifically breathers, but any other suggestions would be good too, I've got a Safari Snorkel so I'm good for air, what breather kits are good? which do I need to extend, all of them? I really don't want water or stuff where its not supposed to be, neither on farm, work or on a trip.
BTW its a MY12 Dual Cab SR5 Manual Diesel D4D if that makes a difference
thanks heaps
-2013 MY12 SR5 3.0D4D Manual 4x4 Dual Cab
TBJ

Re: What breathers do I need for my Lux?

Postby William_Foster on Wed, 02 Oct 2019 4:32 +0000

I run a full set of ARB breathers, but we live and travel in the tropics where you have the problem where warm components and cold(ish) water often mix (the temperature difference creates suction that can potentially draw water into the diff or gearbox). We have a 2013 Hilux and have had the breathers on since new and never had an issue, we regularly make water crossings some deeper than others.

I am no expert, but it might be worth checking if you need the breathers in Victoria as you probably wouldn't have the same level of issues down there that would justify the purchase; unless you're wading in water for any length of time.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby TBJ on Wed, 02 Oct 2019 6:57 +0000

William_Foster wrote:I run a full set of ARB breathers, but we live and travel in the tropics where you have the problem where warm components and cold(ish) water often mix (the temperature difference creates suction that can potentially draw water into the diff or gearbox). We have a 2013 Hilux and have had the breathers on since new and never had an issue, we regularly make water crossings some deeper than others.

I am no expert, but it might be worth checking if you need the breathers in Victoria as you probably wouldn't have the same level of issues down there that would justify the purchase; unless you're wading in water for any length of time.

Righto, by full set you mean both diffs, transmission and transfer case?and yeah I might not need them around home often, although around Gippsland and the High Country there are some pretty deep crossings in winter with the rain and snow melt, but with mates around Australia and work taking me everywhere, I'll definitely be heading up north more than a few times a year as well.
-2013 MY12 SR5 3.0D4D Manual 4x4 Dual Cab
TBJ

Postby William_Foster on Wed, 02 Oct 2019 7:25 +0000

You are correct, the differentials, gearbox and transfer case.

Definitely worth doing if you are heading up north :)
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 03 Oct 2019 6:04 +0000

There are very deep crossing in Vic - I've had my lux float a couple of times in unexpected spots. Breathers are worth the effort.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby BCH on Sun, 03 Nov 2019 8:43 +0000

I bought a kit with gearbox & transfer case breathers. The connections are 1/4'x 1/8" threaded elbows for push in tube. When I had my mechanic look at swapping over the breathers, he said they removed one and it was a barbed connection - no thread.
Can anyone confirm what the breathers actually are on a 2007 KUN26R gearbox & transfer case?
BCH

Return to Drive Train Components