Rear brakes over adjusting

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Rear brakes over adjusting

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 9:30 +0000

...themselves.

I have just returned from an outback tracks roadtrip and I had the above problem consistently occur on rough/corrugated/potholed roads.

Anyone else have this problem?

Symptoms include:
- Firmer brake pedal
- tighter handbrake
- rear brakes get hot but do not overheat - I have never seen them smoking
- the brake pedal and handbrake feel can be returned to normal by rocking the vehicle backwards.

This is the second hilux I have noticed this on. My initial thoughts led me to disable the load sensing valve and then the handbrake self adjuster. I also replaced the brakes with genuine parts. This didn't stop the brakes from self tightening on rough roads. I'm now wondering if the brake cylinder pistons are sticking.

Any ideas on this one?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Re: Rear brakes over adjusting

Postby Tyler1993 on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:52 +0000

I’ve been finding the complete opposite, mine only stay adjusted for about a week and then I have to manually tighten them again. It’s an absolute PITA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 12:08 +0000

G'day hiluxxury
Done the CSR without that particular issue. Found a load of dust and backing plate contact points were dry - was making a harmonic noise when releasing the brake pedal
Have you tried backing of the shoes then opening up the drums to see what happens when you push the brake pedal?
DeadlyBeast

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 12:41 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:G'day hiluxxury
Done the CSR without that particular issue. Found a load of dust and backing plate contact points were dry - was making a harmonic noise when releasing the brake pedal
Have you tried backing of the shoes then opening up the drums to see what happens when you push the brake pedal?

Hey DB, yeah I have and they function normally... well the pistons push the pads apart and then closes as you would expect.

It's not only the deserts where this has occurred - its happened in the Vic high country and other trips where I'm on rough roads for prolonged periods. After a while on the blacktop, it goes away - but I haven't really tested this to see if its similar to rocking the vehicle backwards solution.

The handbrake is now in need of adjustment - almost useless as a park brake.

BTW... thanks for your write-up on the CSR. It was very useful.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 3:16 +0000

No worries mate
That odd that it works when opened up but sticking under normal operational conditions.
Must be something moving when driving to make it stick - sorry man, not entirely sure what would cause that.
My adjusters were a tad temperamental when reinstalling them - if anything they wouldnt engage... :? opposite to your problem
DeadlyBeast

Return to Drive Train Components