When braking, pedal is vibrating and pushing up

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

When braking, pedal is vibrating and pushing up

Postby rushenn on Fri, 15 Dec 2017 5:32 +0000

Hi,

I have a 2009 Hilux Vigo Invincible 3.0 D4D which was pre-owned and imported from UK. From the first day I'm facing an issue in braking that most of the time when applying the brake and the vehicle completely stops, brake pedal is vibrating with a noise. The noise is high that even a rear seat passenger can also hear it. When I'm buying the truck, dealer told me that this can be fixed by replacing the brake pads and ABS pump modulator. I've changed both by installing genuine Toyota brake pads and a brand new ABS pump modulator by spending around USD1450 but the issue is still remains the same.

I've also shown my truck to some mechanics but no one was able to figure it out the issue. If anyone has overcame this issue, please let me know how you handle it.

Thanks.
rushenn

Re: When braking, pedal is vibrating and pushing up

Postby Critter350 on Fri, 15 Dec 2017 5:54 +0000

Did you get your disks skimmed? I’ve seen this from warped rotors.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby martynvella on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 4:31 +0000

Worn rotors wouldnt affect it when stationary.
martynvella

Postby Spitfia on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:51 +0000

sounds like warped brake rotors to me
YOU LOOKIN AT MY EYE?!!!
MY10 2011 SR Hilux DC, Steinbauer Module, 2" lift, BFG AT 265/75R16 etc. etc. etc.
Spitfia

Postby rushenn on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 1:40 +0000

Spitfia wrote:sounds like warped brake rotors to me

Vibrating noise coming from inside (in the pedal) and my leg can feel the vibration. If the issue is warped brake rotors, which part I should replace? I'm sorry I have rather less technical knowledge in this.
rushenn

Postby creaky on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 3:26 +0000

rushenn wrote:

Vibrating noise coming from inside (in the pedal) and my leg can feel the vibration. If the issue is warped brake rotors, which part I should replace? I'm sorry I have rather less technical knowledge in this.

The original post isn't clear but suggests that it is vibrating while you are completely stopped. If that is the case then it is not rotors. If only when you are moving and applying the brakes then the rotors are a very common cause in Toyota 4wds.
creaky

Postby mitch_893 on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 6:04 +0000

It’s his abs cycling. Usually caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby rushenn on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:44 +0000

mitch_893 wrote:It’s his abs cycling. Usually caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor

Dealer suggested me to change the ABS pump modulator as the issue is coming out of ABS. So I did, but the issue is still there. If the issue is faulty speed sensor, can it be fixed by replacing the sensors?
rushenn

Postby rushenn on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 11:45 +0000

creaky wrote:
rushenn wrote:

The original post isn't clear but suggests that it is vibrating while you are completely stopped. If that is the case then it is not rotors. If only when you are moving and applying the brakes then the rotors are a very common cause in Toyota 4wds.

Actually when braking, but only ones the truck almost comes to a complete stop, that last end, the noise appears and the pedal vibrates. One mechanic suggested me to check the ABS sensors. Do you think it's the issue?
rushenn

Postby creaky on Mon, 18 Dec 2017 3:34 +0000

rushenn wrote:

Actually when braking, but only ones the truck almost comes to a complete stop, that last end, the noise appears and the pedal vibrates. One mechanic suggested me to check the ABS sensors. Do you think it's the issue?

If only when moving, yes, either warped rotor(s) or wheel speed sensor. If it only when nearly stopped then probably not warped rotors as they shake the car worse when braking hard at higher speeds from my experience. Either way, rotor machining is cheap and worthwhile.
creaky

Postby mitch_893 on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 3:43 +0000

rushenn wrote:
mitch_893 wrote:It’s his abs cycling. Usually caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor

Dealer suggested me to change the ABS pump modulator as the issue is coming out of ABS. So I did, but the issue is still there. If the issue is faulty speed sensor, can it be fixed by replacing the sensors?

You need to plug into the car with a scan tool and first check for codes. If no codes are stored, you need to review wheel speed data and see if you can spot one sensor reading s different value to the others. What can happen is that as your slowing right down, if a faulty sensor stops reading, the abs system can see it as a locked wheel, and cycles the abs pump to stop it locking.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 7:13 +0000

Hi Rushenn. Looks like it rains a lot in your part of the world. Have you gone through any water lately?
Could be as simple as a bit if water getting into the brake/speed sensor.
Any dash ABS warning light?

As Mitch suggested a scan tool such as techstream is a good place to start.
If you dont have access to a scan tool you can have a look at the ABS lines and sensors:
Unless you have a hoist, work on one wheel at a time, pop each wheel off, clean and dry the inside hub area where the sensor bolts in, unbolt the sensor for each wheel, check for any obvious cracks on the sensor and check the seal. Check that the connectors inside are not broken - I had one break on a Prado.
If the sensor is wet get some contact cleaner onto it or air dry.
Bolt back on, ensure good seal and see how it goes. You may need to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset.
Also check that each ABS line is in good condition - they are very tough but can get damaged.

Brake switch may be worth looking into if the above suggestions fail:
http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22103
DeadlyBeast

Postby rushenn on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 12:54 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Hi Rushenn. Looks like it rains a lot in your part of the world. Have you gone through any water lately?
Could be as simple as a bit if water getting into the brake/speed sensor.
Any dash ABS warning light?

As Mitch suggested a scan tool such as techstream is a good place to start.
If you dont have access to a scan tool you can have a look at the ABS lines and sensors:
Unless you have a hoist, work on one wheel at a time, pop each wheel off, clean and dry the inside hub area where the sensor bolts in, unbolt the sensor for each wheel, check for any obvious cracks on the sensor and check the seal. Check that the connectors inside are not broken - I had one break on a Prado.
If the sensor is wet get some contact cleaner onto it or air dry.
Bolt back on, ensure good seal and see how it goes. You may need to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset.
Also check that each ABS line is in good condition - they are very tough but can get damaged.

Brake switch may be worth looking into if the above suggestions fail:
http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22103

Thank you DeadlyBeast. I'm facing this issue since the day I bought my truck (almost 1.5 years). Many times I went through scanning and no errors pointed. I'll check the sensors by removing the tires again.
rushenn

Return to Drive Train Components